THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mystery solved:Boulder cops under investigation in elk shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery solved:Boulder cops under investigation in elk shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.dailycamera.com/new...mit-officer-shot-elk

Link has photos of bull elk

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not very smart at all.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poachers with badges. Hope they throw the book at them!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a shame. It will probably get covered up.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shawnmc:
What a shame. It will probably get covered up.

I don't think it can be covered up at this point, its all over the news in Colorado and it occured in Boulder which is ultra Liberal.
Just the locals in Boulder will keep the heat on.
I love the comments after the article, lots of people commented on not seeing broken antlers in the picture and somehow associate broken antlers as an injury, cracks me up, animal lovers that don't know anything about animals.
In this case I see this as an abuse of power and position and it backfired on these guys.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious what the radio traffic was...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Tonight on local news I see that Boulder residents are holding a candlelight vigil for the slain elk who now has a name, "Big Boy".
The news helped by interviewing children at the vigil who are sending it to heaven with their prayers.
I think these cops are in deep shit and they should be.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
News Report

They are grieving and finding closure for "Big Boys" death!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
While the killing of this animal is grievous, it is equally disturbing to me when people elevate an animal to place it does not belong. One fool called it a "guardian" of the neighborhood. Please! I see little more than ignorance when people project human emotions onto animals.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Tonight on local news I see that Boulder residents are holding a candlelight vigil for the slain elk who now has a name, "Big Boy".
The news helped by interviewing children at the vigil who are sending it to heaven with their prayers.
I think these cops are in deep shit and they should be.

As soon as the up-coming gun control battle gets going full-throttle, you will see the same this same thing occur when hunters take legal game animals.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
I reckon that the best way, for the bunny huggers, to find closure would be to eat the bull. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With no pot smokers to bust anymore the cops need something to fill the void.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting reading. For you folks that live and hunt in Colorado can you recommend any good forums to visit?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, the candle light vigil. Thats rich!! Hopefully a few knuckleheads go on a hunger strike to protest.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://denver.cbslocal.com/201...ter-shooting-of-elk/

Officers face charges.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Kathi.
After you click on the link and read the article browse through the comments just for the enertainment value!
Very interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One or both will lose their jobs and maybe be felons before it's all over for doing such a stupid thing, but even more so for trying to cover up the facts, tamper with witnesses, etc. Can you say Dumb and Dumber!!!!

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I just read in the newspaper that both were charged by the DA. I read that were E-mails between the 2 discussing it days before the killing.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Boulder in the old days. One thing I can guarantee about the people there is there is no way in hell they will let this get covered up! There are about an equal number of tree huggers and hunters. What is unique is the average education level in boulder used to be a masters degree. The people are very educated and greenie or hunter/conservationist they will be on the same side on this one.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an update on this case? Did the officers lose their jobs?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard anything about it as of late, last heard both were suspended without pay.
It's probably in that "due process" limbo where both sides are preparing their cases.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
While the killing of this animal is grievous, it is equally disturbing to me when people elevate an animal to place it does not belong. One fool called it a "guardian" of the neighborhood. Please! I see little more than ignorance when people project human emotions onto animals.
Why didn't he go up and PET the guardian of the neighborhood?

Not saying the aren't majestic, just that they are "wild animals" and can be very dangerous...

I live ten miles from the U of O and Springfield is next to (Minneapolis/ St. Paul close) to the People's Republik of Eugene...I know animal wackos when I see them.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote