New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can deer have split litters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dressed some does this past week that had different size embronic sacks in them.There were usually two large ones and one very small sack.They were also in heat ready to breed again.They were feeding on 20 acres of oats and were very fat.I have seen does with up to 6 babies that were different sizes in a well fed area.I have never seen anything written about this split litters.Has anyone else heard of this?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that the difference in the vessicle sizes was an indication of embryo's which would be resorbed or are in various stages of embryonic death. While multiple breedings in one heat could result in different parents, it should not be possible for viable embryo's to be present from multiple heat cycles. Fresh follicles are not uncommon, as the luteinization of new follicles helps to maintain the pregnancy. This gives the appearance of an ovary that is in heat.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
The embronic sacks were both large and small in the dsoes I dressed.I have seen does with different size fawns before.I thought that the doe had taken over as the fawns mother but now I think that she had different aged babies.They were too close together in age to be from one year apart but seemed to be about 4 months apart.There was a moose that had four babies this year in Alaska,which is super rare.She died in someones yard later during the year.There were pictures and many people who saw thi.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote