New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 -378 WBY Mag or 300RUM
 Login/Join

<ytailhuntr>
posted
I'm going to purchase a gun to be used on an Elk hunt out west next year. Neither the guide nor location has been reserved yet so the terrain is still questionable. I have narrowed the selection based on ballistic charts and opinions of experienced hunters. The Accu-mark w/brake, fluted barrel add scope can hit the wallet pretty hard but sure is an impressive setup. Add a leupold scope and that�s the cost of a cheap drop camp hunt. The Sako TRG -S seems to be much friendlier on the wallet but probably wont hold resale value. Some postings on this BB earlier lead me to believe mounting a scope on the Sako is a pain in the shorts not to mention the shoulder. After holding the Rem 300 Ultra LSS I had to add it to the possibilities. Does the Boss system really make a difference? Should I consider the new short actions? Kick it around and let me know what you think.

------------------
Working for the weekend

<Eric Leonard>
posted
the cartridges are almost identical.a very slight edge to the weatherby.go with whichever gun you like the best.

------------------
SPEED KILLS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both and much prefer the ultramag.The velocity with handloads runs about 100 fps less than the 30-378 but I prefer the remington action ,the reduced recoil(I won't use a muzzlebrake because of the noise) and much cheaper brass.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
The 30-378 has VERY little on the RUM...I have ran a 178gr A-MAX to almost 3500fps in my RUM out of a 26"barrel.....

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What bullet are you planning on using?
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ytailhuntr>
posted
I haven't given much thought to bullets yet. I did however find an interesting web site http://www.lostriverballistic.com Probably try some of their product sooner or later. I would start out with over the counter stuff Scirocco 150 grain or wby 165 bst. I will definitely research before reloading. I've also heard some rumblings of brass shaving clogging the extractor spring on the RUM. Is this still a known problem?

------------------
Working for the weekend

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Never happend to me....

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk experts:
What bullets, both weight, and design, are your favorite for elk?

Seems to me that a 168 grain bullet out of either of your choices really is a waste of powder, and a poor match. Course, the great thing about having so much room, is you can try lots of different combinations...

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ytailhuntr>
posted
A BTSP by Hornady has always worked well for me in the past. Why change? Do you have any better ideas? I want to stay between 178 (a-max) Thanks for the input! and 200grain . How about a hot IMR to go with it? I think the Remington will be the choice. Now to pick a scope! Any body got a favorite vendor that rewards for referrals?...Thanks for all input so far..

------------------
Working for the weekend

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ytl:
Isn't that going to make for a rather hot round, that, at the expected velocities,
may have bullet failure?

Boyd is suggesting 3100 fps with a 240.
So, you are expecting 3500 fps with a 178?

Is anything designed to work at that sort of velocity??

I have no idea, just asking questions....

gs

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Socrates....I HAVE ran the 220 at 3100fps out of a 26" barrel....And I HAVE ran the 178 to the 3460 range....I am shooting for 3000fps with the 240 in a 30" tube,and 3175 out of a 36" tube...Yes the MatchKing's will work at those velocity's and higher...They have been shooting these bullet's out of Long barrel's in the 30-378's for year's...With the 178 in my 36" barrel I should get CLOSE to 3700fps......I might just load some up to see...I however will shoot the Heavy MatchKing's in both my RUM'S...

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff, Boyd.

I think you are taking full advantage of the rum with your long barrels.

Keep us posted on game results.
Hats off to your unique nitch, even if it doesn't meet with the average 'guy' around here.

Keep using those matchkings...

gs

<T/Jazz>
posted
The people I have been around for several years of elk hunting talk about various guns and bullets all the time. If there is a best out there for bringing down the big bull, I am leaning towards the 338 caliber.

I have one in a Browning Bar which I like a lot, but putting things in there proper perspective for long range shooting of the the elk, I believe that the 300 RUM is the answer for success on that kind of a hunt. It clearly has the ballistics and energy out to 600 plus yards using a 180 grain premium bullet mind you. It will shoot from one end to the other on that elk at 300 yards. The accuracy of the 30 caliber is a given over the years from local gun clubs to national 1000 yard matches.

This will be my next rifle when the budget gets to favoring my hunting down the road. I want to go to Africa, but I can't take a semi-auto as my small gun. The 300 RUM will do that part well. I will buy it in a Winchester classic action pre-64. It will have a lightweight stock (synthetic type) installed on it, along with a Leupold 4 x 12 scope.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
The only probablem I've found with the RUM is the brass.I have found some brass weighing as much as 7 grain's more than another....Fine for most hunting.But for Long Range work or 1000 yard target shooting I've gone through 200 case's to find 2o that would match close enough for me to use....

------------------

<ytailhuntr>
posted
Thanks for all input. I'm now the proud owner of the crowd favorite "300RUM LSS" The dealer had a really nice 375 H&H CZ. Only had a 25" barrel though. I had never heard that CZ was banned from sale in the U.S. Anyway that�s another subject. My dealer made me very happy by beating the best price I could find on the internet. He also made me a deal on 3 boxes of 180gr. PP boxed by Winchester. Is the pp a bench bullet for ballistics or can you use it for hunting? I'm thinking the energy or knock down power will be very inefficient compared to an average hunting bullet. At least I got enough brass to start reloading. My dad had to 1 better me and pick up the WBY 30-378 with the boss system. Guess we are going to find out first hand what the differences really are.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Congrat's on the new gun...The shell's you got from him will work fine for hunting...Tell your Dad not to get too cocky.You have the better round in my opinion.The 30-378 might be a little bit faster....And I do mean a LITTLE.And use's about 10 more grain's of powder to do it....I have ran a 178gr A-MAX to 3465fps.And a 220gr MK to 3100 in a 26" barrel....You made a fine choice.I you have anyother ?'s throw me an e-mail and I'll help you out as much as I can.....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boyd Heaton (edited 03-15-2002).]

<ytailhuntr>
posted
Thanks Boyd I agree� and by the way My 22.250 shoots a pretty straight Blitzking! I would like to get some suggested reload recipes for the 30 ca if ya don�t mind. Does the RUM like a slow burning powder ? Send your email address to ytailhuntr@yahoo.com

------------------
Working for the weekend