New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local News.... bears....rambling...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few days ago, I awoke to the radio alarm clock and on the news they said that there was a grizzly bear, spotted by several people, running around Whitehorse that night.
The first thought that hit my head as I was waking up was: Gee, I should load up some matchkings and go hang out at Tim Hortons doughnut shop and maby I might get a shot at that bear. Then I finished waking up. Never did hear if they found the bear or if it was still hanging around. About this time of year, Whitehorse gets the odd bear break-ins with all the moose hanging in garages. They don't bother with the doors. They just tear a hole in the side of a wall.

In Mayo, Yukon there WAS a grizzly giving locals some trouble. Raiding cabins etc. They knew from his tracks that he was a big bear. A friend of mine Jack , has a ranch there, was hoping he would catch up with the bear. The game branch and my friend have been trying to bag this bear for close to 2 years with no luck. Just the other day the bear showed up. I do not recall what he did this time but my friend,Jack, and the game branch were called out. The game branch set out a culvert trap. Jack, regretably was not able to go out till that evening cause he was in the middle of other things. Be damned if the game branch didn't catch the bear that evening. Jack, explained to me that the bear was a good one. He was disapointed that he did not get out there sooner and get the bear himself. He went on to say the bear was not to particularly happy about being in culvert trap. He would growl and rush at them and hit the gate. Jack said it was quite a preformance. Scary. The game officer dispatched the troublesome bear with a 12ga. 3" slugs from about 2 feet away. Jack said he was not impressed with the 12ga. slugs. He said it took 3 shots to put the bear out. The game branch skinned the bear out and took the hide. They gave Jack the body so he could use it as bait for trapping this winter. The skull is around 24".

There have been a couple of different grizzlies and blacks spotted at my neighbors, about a 1/2 mile from my place on and off this summer and fall. I have been keeping an eye out for them but for some reason they have been staying away from my place. When one of the dogs go missing, I will know that they are around. I quess I will have to get off my lazy butt and be a real hunter.

There is other news about a local that drowned on a moose hunt and I heard they had bear trouble as well. I don't have the details yet. When I do, I will post more...

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Now why can't I live in a place like you do???!!! That's a great story Darryl. From the sound of it, you must live way out in the wilderness. Do you ever get any wolves prowling around also? jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,
I have a 70 acre ranch, 20 minutes north of Whitehorse. I am 1 km. from the Yukon river, so it is a natural travel route for game. With a population in the Yukon aproaching 30,000 people, you don't have to go far to be in the wilderness. The wilderness is within rifle range of my house. [Wink]
Check the archives on Accurate under varmint hunting and big game hunting. I have a couple of posts in there about hunting wolves from my living room.
I decided to post my ramblings on local news because I get to comlacent and I forget to appreciate the little things. I do not have T.V so at the end of the day,so I log on Accurate. Sometimes the Big Game forum gets a little slow, so I decided to flap my gums a little.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl, I'm with Jorge, those are good stories, keep them coming. I live with 6 million people within a 50 mile radius, nice to hear from people who live in the wild!!!!!!
[Big Grin]
Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of bears in Alaska, too, including BIG ones such as the ones in the following story:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/4110831p-4127072c.html

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote