New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubonds Failed???????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll double check them when I get back to my scales, but if memory serves me correctly the one fired at close range weighed right at 60% and the other a touch more. I will weigh for you though.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Winchester Magnum. My pet load is the 200 grain version of the Nosler Accubond propelled by 80.5 grains of H1000 for a mv of 3000 fps.

I was fortunate to have a couple of real on game experiences with the bullet as well.

1. 4x4 Mule deer buck at approximately 75 yards. Hit him right where the head meets the neck. Obviously full penetration. Exit hole about the size of a half dollar. Spine where impacted was crushed and pulverized.

2. 5x5 Bull elk. Approximately 50 yards quartering towards me. Hit him right on the ball joint on the onside shoulder. Bullet crushed the shoulder leaving bone pulp and fragments. Bullet continued in through the rib cage leaving a hole about the size of a quarter, and took out one lung. I found the bullet in the body cavity while dressing it out. It weighed 114 grains for a retained percentage of 57%. A little lower than what Nosler advertises but not at all disappointing considering the test it was put through.

Here is the recovered bullet next to the bullet it used to be.

Here are the two bullets above with a couple of 180 Nosler Partitions thrown in for comparison. Both of these came out of elk and were fired from the same gun. Muzzle velocity of approx. 3150 fps. The one on the far left was recovered after taking the spine out of spike at about 450 yards. The one next to is was recovered from a cow after going through the spine, body cavity and coming to rest in the brisket (she was running up a steep hillside straight across from me). That shot was about 30 yards.

Here is a shot from the top for diameter comparisons with the partitons of equal caliber.

Needless to say, but I am seriously impressed for the test this bullet was put through. I also do not believe the good people at Nosler are misleading people when they say it was designed to perform like a partition.

Just my .02, and maybe a little more

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
accubonds give the best groups out of my newest 270 using factory ammo, and i plan to use them this year for deer in a couple weeks. i don't expect anything but great performance from these bullets.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only a sample of one. I shot a cow at 80 yds this year. Through a near side rib, through heart and lungs, out an off side rib and shoulder. Exit hole about quarter size. That was the performance I was hoping for. My rifle doesn't group well with partitions, and the Sierra Game Kings I've been using have came apart on the 6 or 8 elk I've shot with them at ranges of less than 300 yards. I am shooting 200 gr's at 2980 fps.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote