Find
Notify
Tools

Draw season is here again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted
The draw application season is here again. I guess I am fortunate to have 3 sons who love to hunt. So we have put in for the draws as they become available.

Now that New Mexico is requiring the tag fees to be paid up front, it has become a huge financial burden to put in for tags in premium areas. For example, putting in for a few of my favorite things in NM requires around SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS per applicant. Times four. Wyoming is pretty close to the same commitment.

At the end of the day, I am questioning my sanity for fronting so much resources in hopes of drawing, then hoping to find a good outfitter, then hoping for the right weather during our hunt, then hoping for some good luck.

Frankly, my credit card doesn't have a high enough limit to put in for the draws for each specie we hope to hunt in every state. Sure, it's a loan to the state and you hope you dont get your money back, but the intitial oulay for the troop can top 50K in a hurry.

I have a few that are must apply, but I have to give up some opportunity too. Like Wyoming Moose - you can do bigger, better, less expensive in BC. Like ANT in NM, who wants 1-5% draw odds?

So my question is, are you still playing the draw game full tilt, or have you found a better alternative?

Best-

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, quite a bit of dough to lay out!

This will be my first year making any out of state draw applications. Have an invitation to head to Kansas for some whitetail hunting on a coworker's family farm (5000acres), pending successful draw. Can't apply till April 1, working through the details in the meanwhile.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just call them my non-interest bearing saveings accounts. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I for one have given up on the draw process. The states have done nothing but turn it into one big scam. If i cant buy an over the counter tag ill get some kind of land owner tag. Or, ill spend my money in canada. This may excempt me from ever hunting some of the more prime areas but i dont care.
Can you say Moose / mtn. goat combo!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a Canadian that puts in for a couple draws down south it is a hassle to some extent. I keep an American funds account for my tag money and it doesn't allow any interest to be earned. Last year I put in for antelope in Wyoming and was successful, we had a great trip, and it is one of the more "economical" tags for out-of-staters at just under $300. I also put in for bighorns in the Missouri river breaks. The amount of interest they must make off of that draw makes me cringe.

I am wanting to put in for ibex in NM but I'm pretty discouraged by the forced upfront license purchase.

I'm considering using Cabela's T.A.G.S. this year. They float the tag fee and you don't pay for it unless you are drawn. I just don't like the idea of paying a commission to someone to provide me with info that I already know. Anyone have any experience with them?

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use USO because I don't have time to deal with it. I have taken most of the "up front" hits already so it's usually just a few hundred in application fees, etc. each year now.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize there are some hard feelings out there on that topic, that's about all i know about it. I started using them a few years back on the advice of some very experienced colleagues and can't really change course now.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I just buy preference points every year until I am basically guaranteed a tag. I don't have to front money for the tags, it is easier to plan for the hunt, and I hunt elsewhere in the world until i am at least 50% sure I will draw in NA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 9 Moose Points for Wyoming and 11 Sheep Points. But kinda lacking the cash this year. But hopefully in the next year or two I will throw down the money and draw.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I play the game every year and usually get one good tag each year. Some, like NM, can get a little expensive but you usually get it back in a month or so. Don't worry about the interest, they can't get more than one percent for short term deposits. So that is one twelveth of one percent for the short term.

Ditto on Ty's post regarding camel's fleas. Woulde not endorse George to handle your money or tags.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote