Find
Notify
Tools

West Texas Aoudad hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I have hunted Aoudad on my ranch for almost 20 years now, but I’m looking for a good hunt in true West Texas. In the Chinati’s, Davis, Glass Mts etc.

Some of these hunts are $10k once you add tip and travel. I don’t mind spending some money, but $10k is a lot of money.

I have learned that the most expensive hunt you can book is a “cheap” hunt. So, I want to do it right. See some sheep and get that true West TX experience.

Any advice?

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
My buddy booked with Mulie_mike and had a great hunt and killed a stud ram.

https://forums.accuratereloadi...2100588/m/4251095572

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out https://www.swhunts.com. Bubba's record as an aoudad guide record is second to none. He is also one of, if not the most expensive.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I just hunted elk with Chet Dove at High Desert Hunting out of Alpine. He hunts more aoudad than any other species and has a number of ranches to do it from. Do a search on Facebook and you can find his page. He doesn't talk a lot... but that's okay with me.

Also Greg Simon's Wildlife Systems is a premier outfit and runs a turnkey hunt with great lodging and food.

My $.02...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
I have an aoudad hunt booked with Chet Dove for February 2024. This will be my first aoudad hunt and looking forward to it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted a couple years ago with Calan Ahrens ranching and wildlife and killed the #1 scoring ram for the year and #88 all time....according to the certificate that was sent to me.

The crazy part is that I saw 2-3 that I thought were BIGGER than the one I shot....after I shot mine, of course. My buddy couldn't get on them but the one he ended up with was fabulous also.

I'm pretty sure he's not cheap but man, he's got some dandy aoudad to hunt!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an aoudad hunt booked with Chet Dove for February 2024. This will be my first aoudad hunt and looking forward to it.

I had a great hunt with Chet. Think you will too.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, I spent considerable time with Chet a few years ago. I thought he had the best vision of anyone I ever knew on this continent. Also a hard worker.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have a list that included Bubba and Greg Simons, among others. I’ll give Chet a call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Check out https://www.swhunts.com. Bubba's record as an aoudad guide record is second to none. He is also one of, if not the most expensive.

I have a couple of vendors that hunted with Bubba, I don't know the details but they said it was a disaster and they talked me out of booking with him. Maybe it was a "one-off", but just passing it along so you do your due diligence.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a great father son trip with Robert Warren down south of Marfa this February, gorgeous country and great cooking in a very comfortable
ranch house. Shot a beast of a ram too. Happy to send you photos of the countryside, accommodations and animals.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gsganzer, you have a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gsganzer, you have a PM.

Thanks, I replied back.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, I did an aoudad hunt with Roy Hurley at the H.E.Sproul Ranch. The hunt went great.

They hunt in the Fort Davis area. I think that is prettiest part of Texas, seems more like New Mexico.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me and a friend went with Bubba a couple years ago. Well worth the extra dollars for a first timer.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3jqo69K

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Wendell I’m in a very similar situation. Wanting to bring friends from Idaho for a January hunt.
Did you settle on an outfitter?
ABTW anybody familiar w Ross Coffey w Great American Hunting Services out of Marfa?

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Jim Breck Bean has a fantastic operation and it as good a guy as you can book with. I like Bubba too, we’ve hunted together in the past and he’s been doing it a long time

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My dates were tight since I’m trying to go over spring break ‘24. I contacted Chet Dove; Booked. Roy Hurley; Booked and High West Outfitters (Jim Breck Bean) who had a spot open.

So we are going with HWO!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
So we are going with HWO!

Good choice! Great people

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will see Jim tomorrow and say "hi". Mule deer for me.
Used HWO in August of 2022 for a great aoudad hunt. Creed Cade was my guide. Wonderful man. Mention the couple from Montana!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Ended up booking w Spot and Stalk Outfitters.
Hunting Cibolo Creek lodge.
Gonna be cushy!!!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Baracho Peak Ranch.

My photos are on there, they have aoudad, elk and red sheep.

Borders Clayton Williams place.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Jones, backcountryhunts.com. Did pronghorn & Carmen Mtn. whitetail. Saw pots of aoudads. Great guy. Does it right.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would probably pick Steve Jones as well.

I met him in a BBQ joint in Cloudcroft, not Crazy Jacks the other one.

Nice guy.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote