New
Find
Notify
Tools

4x12 burris on a .270 god or bad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i want a good scope/rifle combo. for deer etc. How do you all feel about the .270 and this power of scope?

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Greg. Kenai --- Blacktails? As a general rule, the 270 will do just fine. Maybe a little fast for close up shots (lots of meat damage with light bullets), but it'll do the job.

The scope depends a little on where and what you hunt. Where I hunt, 4x is a bit much, but we hunt in some very close cover. If you are hunting the coastal forests, I would drop down to something like a 2x7. 7 power is plenty for the longest shot you should be taking on deer, that's for sure, and you'll appreciate the 2x when one jumps up at javelin range. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, I don't think that is a bad combo, but I do not think it is "god" either!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

If you top it with a VX-III 2.5-8x, it would be closer to divine for me!
[Wink]

(OK, I'll leave now, my work here is finished)

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never needed or admired large scopes on big game rifles...I noticed about 50 years ago that I could see and elk or a deer just fine with a 3X scope at up to a 1000 yds, so why pack a scope that tends to lose its zero and a scope that fails...The bigger a scope is the less reliable it is, and I am 100 percent sure of that!!

You would be well advised to get a 1.5x5X or the 1.5x6X or just a fixed 4X would be fine...One thing about a fixed power scope, again it is argueably more reliable than a varible, I am convienced that it is....

In dogs, horses, men, guns and scopes, reliability is first and foremost, all else is twaddle [Big Grin] .

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg p:
I want a good scope/rifle combo. for deer etc. How do you all feel about the .270 and this power of scope?

Greg - I have just such a combination as you describe and I love it. Where many shooters go wrong with a variable scope is they don't USE the variable feature. When I'm out hunting I crank mine up and down to fit the setting. Get in thick cover and you obviously want to crank it down as low as it will go. Move into the open spaces and twist it back up near the top end. The variable has eliminated binoculars for me. My philosophy is the BETTER you can see your target and all the sneaky things in between the better off a shooter is. Optics are like money in the bank IMHO. [Smile]

[ 07-21-2002, 03:31: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the against varibles is from the old days. I have used both fixed and varibles I find that a good varible is well worth having. I have made lots of shots on the high end that I never would of on the low end. I have many times used the high end in brush to pick out a little hole to put the bullet through. I find a good 3x9 or so works just fine the higher types work well if you have any shots out past 300 yards.It really helps with shot placement.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote