Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a decent buck!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
After several years of hunting in Cali, passing up forks, and then going empty handed, I finally got into a good one. Here's some links, till I figure out how to put the pic in.http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/BigNate_93268/10_17_9.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/BigNate_93268/10_17_17.jpg

BigNate, to insert the photos in your post: copy and paste the URL that is in the "Img" box on Photobucket. T.Carr

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Nice Buck! beer

Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Thanks for the pics.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'd say you got a good one. Congrats.

Just by looking at the pics, is that think a mulie/whitetail cross?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Just goes to show that the way to shoot the big ones is to not shoot the little ones. Thanks!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

Just by looking at the pics, is that think a mulie/whitetail cross?

Not sure it isn't graybird, but the rumor is the DFG allowed a big private lanowner to import some Whitetail about 50 years back. I have not seen any but there may be some genes in the pool. This is the second one I've taken that looked like a cross. The first was when I was in high school and what we called Bench-legs. Across between Mulies and Blacktail. They are common in the area where the benches lie coming down out of the Cascade Range but west of the high desert. This one is similar. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job Nate, I'll tell the guys at work.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNate, patience pays off! Congrats, I'm glad you actually got to the 'payday'

It makes the heart glow to finally get to a trophy like that.

regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty one. Well Done!

Feels good when the patience pays off, doesn't it?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is more than a decent buck. Well done.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Nate,

Nice buck!

I blew my chance this year already. My brother brought over some apples for me to bait with, but they got rotten before I got them out to my stand. I threw them out behind my shop to get rid of them. An hour after I threw them out I noticed through the shop window a 12 pointer just finishing up the last of the apples, and my bow (which is usually in the shop) was in the pickup.

Did you see my post on reed material? (ref. Monday Coyotes....)

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, I'm going to have a shoulder mount done of him. I'll see if I can get some pics from the taxidermist. Nate

P.S. PDH got your tip thanks, I'll have to check into it. Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigNate
Very Nice Buck

Posts: 77 | Location: Hopefully out in the hills somewhere | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate,

Great Job! I'd say you have a fine example of a Blacktail there. Blacktail antler conformation is often similar to Whitetail.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks CFS.

After seeing Seans buck from ferther north and in the coastals I'm more confident now that mine is all Blacktail and not a mix. I'm really happy with him, and have not put a tape on him nor did I weigh him. To me he's a trophy regaurdless. Nate