New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear tips?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right all, went up and did first scouting run yesterday on the area I normally go for hunting. Last year we tracked a small black bear towards the end of season for about a mile. Didn't have tags just were curious about where he was going and if he had some bigger companions around. I decided that this year I am getting my bear tag.

So I was tickled 3 shades of pink yesterday when we found some great looking tracks (not the same bear, this one is quite a bit bigger than the one from last year).

I am just wondering any tips any of you might have for getting this guy. I am going to continue scouting the area and try to learn his habits. I don't have dogs and I am pretty sure that baiting is not allowed in California.

Thanks all.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
The best tip I can give you is to go to Prince George, British Columbia and hunt with the guys I hunted with. Awesome time and LOTS of bears!

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Dago Red, If you need hounds and some help packing out a big bear. For California I have a limited deal on a bear hunt with hounds on hundreds of square miles in Klamuth National Forest on the California Oregan border. Very reasonable at $800. This does not include meals and lodging. This hunt has been 100% in a big bear area. For more info. my number is 281-228-2533
Thanks,
Terry
Lone Star Outfitters of Texas

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you at least baited in the salesmen.

Measure the front track, add one and call it feet instead of inches, and you have the size of the bear rug. For example, if you have a 6 1/4-inch pad, add one and you have a 7' 3" X 7' 3" hide on the hoof (or paw, in this case).

Black bears wanders, so it's little use trying to wait for one to go back and forth on a trail. One might come; it might not.

Food is the key. What is the season? If berries are abundant, that's a pretty sure bet where the bears will be.

Clear cuts and burns are good, if the are old enough. If the ants and termites are in the stumps, the bears will be there, too. If you find wood chips in the scat, that's an indicator. Clear-cuts and burns also give a good view.

Bears like water. Especially swamps. If your bear is close to water, keep looking for him there. Streams are collectors of carrion, plus are a food resource in their own right, having crayfish, fish, frogs, etc.

Bears will stay on if there's food. If hikers in the area are reporting problems with being raided, the raider will likely stay around. Same with dumps.

Check with locals on how they hunt. Lots of California houndsmen like to run their dogs, and would likely pair up with you just to give their dogs a workout. You can check the United Kennel Club or Professional Kennel Club websites for California chapters.

If you can bait, use dead fish to bring 'em and throwaway sweets (cakes, donuts, pies...) to keep 'em.

Bears move 24/7, but I think most people would agree the hour or two before dark is the time men and bears cross paths the most.

That's all the tips I have. Looking to learn more.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great tips KK. I checked and indeed, no baiting allowed here. I will see about maybe finding somebody with dogs. There are a lot of berries in the area, and some good clear cuts where my stepfather and friend did some gold prospecting and lumber work 10+ years ago, so they have been there for a while. There is also water close to the area.

I appreciate the tips and hopefully will have some good pictures and stories to post come season. (runs from Sept. 20 to Dec. 27th I think).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Try to find areas with alot of scat. Rigth now in BC, the bears are mating, so the boars cruise up and down the dirt tracks hoping to catch wind of a female that has crossed the road.

Where there is alot of scat, there's going to be some bears. THis is the area you want to concentrate your efforts in.

Depending on the terrain, you can either spot them from across a drainage and then put a stalk on them, or just wait until the early evening and start SLOWLY making your way through the area, glasing in front of you as you head to the prime locations. Both techniques have worked really well for me for years, but sometimes you just bump into the bear, and you have to make a quick call and either shoot or hold fire.

Burns and clearcuts offer good vantage points to spot and stalk.

Finally, shoot them UPHILL! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote