Find
Notify
Tools

Living in Portland, OR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have an interview for a transfer to Portland, Oregon in a few hours.

It is a promotion, they offered me another promotion to Southern Arizona and we will probably take that.

But then this came in, and my wife is excited about that.

We would be living somewhere near Portland, and I can see our cost of living for housing doubling, that and my wife and kids will have more to do. Which will cost more.

We have small children, and the border country (like where I live) has some safety concerns. I an not sure other than meth heads what the safety concerns would be in Portland.

Hunting is kind of a wash. As Washington and Idaho both allows disabled veterans cheap resident rate tags. I'll have Arizona tags, and whatever I draw in the surrounding states. Not really an impact.

Most of what matters will be what I draw in Wyoming anyway.

Long range shooting is a bigger passion of mine, and that is going to suck in Portland.

Arizona's population is tipping left, Oregon's population is left in Portland, but pretty right everywhere else.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Watch out for poop on the stoop. Won't be from four legged wildlife either. Large homeless pop may be a potential disease mechanism and also crime.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like long range shooting and like highly reactive targets, Oregon has lots and lots of ground squirrels (mostly Belding). They're smaller than PDs and quite challenging out beyond 150 yards or so in windy conditions.

On the other hand, the state is run by progressives who seem to encourage homeless people setting up shelters in the streets of Portland, and are presently trying to impose cap-and-trade on the state while going after guns.

Sigh . . .

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at least it isn't Seattle.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you end up in the Portland area and like northern Thai cuisine check out Pok Pok, Chef Andy Ricker is the Thai food guru in the Portland area.

And defo watch out for the street scat.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Portland has the votes. Mad Tough call.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Something else that occured to me to mention is this:

Since you have small children do you want them to get an education or an indoctrination? Are you prepared to homeschool or pay for private schools?

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
let's no forget that Portland is the home of the ANTIFA movement also.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Something else that occured to me to mention is this:

Since you have small children do you want them to get an education or an indoctrination? Are you prepared to homeschool or pay for private schools?

My wife is a master teacher, she is currently homeschooling the 4 year old, but the other two are coming home if we move, no matter where we move.

Too bad about the scat.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arizona

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a pretty bad interview.

I wouldn't have hired me.

Glad I got the other job in Arizona.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Lots of good rifle people in Arizona.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of my business, but I personally think you made the right choice! tu2

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I think you are probably right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You definitely made the right choice, that entire area is a liberal crap hole.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, you'll save yourself some headaches staying in the Southwest. As a third-generation Oregonian, I have seen huge changes in the politics of my native state, especially in the Portland metro area. The traffic there is awful, too, but not as bad as Sea-Tac.
It rains, but it really is green. What I miss most is some of the hunting (chukars out east) and all of the fishing -- in the Columbia Basin, the Rogue Basin, the Umpqua Basin, the Cascade lakes and streams -- and then there is the coast with its bays and estuaries full of fish, crabs and clams.
As to long-range shooting, I believe the Douglas Ridge range near Estacada still offers 900 yards and possibly 1,000. There is even more opportunity on the east side of the Cascades.
So if you get that job offer, it won't be the end of the world.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion, for what it is worth...

I lived for many years in Northern California. I watched it change from wonderful to awful... too many people, too much traffic and too much political leanings that rubbed me the wrong way. The last company I founded, the VCs wanted located in Portland. I did not like Portland... too much like California in every way.

I now live in southern Arizona. Fewer people, more freedom, less BS. I love Arizona.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote