New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94 Peep Site Question
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Fellas, i have just lately dialed in a load for my Winchester 94 in .38-55. However i am still shooting a little high for my liking. The speed is their as well as the energy, but i would like to bring the bullet down a bit but i have no more adjustment on my iron sights. Would a Lyman peep sight give me more adjustment? My experience is with scopes and iron sights as i have never shot through a peep before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Williams Reciever sight on my Model 1894. Really like it. It has a removeable apeture that makes it almost a ghost ring. Bolts right on with no gunsmithing required. Worth taking a look at in my opinion. Never used a Lyman though.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Would these work with the top eject Mdl 94?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a good chance Mark that a peep also won't let you zero your 55, it seems Win put a very low original front site on these guns because of the arched tragectory of the feable factory loads. If your shooting the standard 35g of 3031 you will probably have to change the front site.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Williams peep sight is made of aluminum and works quite nicely. The similar Lyman sight is made of steel and is priced somewhat higher. I'm sure the Lyman works well, but only if you insist on the traditional blued steel over anodized aluminum would the price difference be justified.

The rear factory open sight will have to be removed.

Even at maximum adjustment on the peep sight, your gun may still shoot too high unless you replace the front sight with a taller one. But it's worth a try, and the peep sight lends itself to quicker shooting and better accuracy.

Gatehouse: The receiver sight sits rearward of the ejection port, so the top ejection is not a problem.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One alternative is a higher front sight to lower the POI...$1.25

A peep will certainly work.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Replacing the iron sights on a model 94, should be ruled a sin!!!!!

Posts: 98 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Replacing the iron sights on a model 94, should be ruled a sin!!!!! Just see where you're hitting and accomodate.
CDW

Posts: 98 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Win94>
posted
Hey Wooddrow, i was thinking the same thing. I am only about 1.5" high at 100 yards. Maybe i will live with it. I am torn.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
the rear peep sight will sit higher on the receiver then the iron sights do on the barrel, therefore you will be shooting even higher. A higher front sight will do the trick , but if you want a peep sight buy a high fron sight with it , Call williams talk with a tech. He will set you up with what you need. Also someone asked about the side eject models and the answer is yes its the 94se it mounts on top , i put one on my 94 ranger 30/30 with no need to change the front sight . Later Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I just find it hard to hit with the "Buckhorn" sights on my 94. It's pretty imprecise for load development, for me anyway.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Win94>
posted
Gatehouse, that is my exact problem with buckhorns. They seem so course to me and i am not consistent. They seem to fuzz up on me. I have a Savage 99c with open sites but they are much finer with a gold bead on the front site and 200 yard shots are not out of the question. Not sure how them cowboys use to do it with buckhorns, a raging wind and a galloping horse under em!!?? Maybe i watch to many movies!!! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow:
Replacing the iron sights on a model 94, should be ruled a sin!!!!!

I beg to differ, sir. The Winchester line of lever actions traditionally came with peep sites as an extra cost option, and the cognoscenti of the day prefered them that way. Mounting an aperture sight in the factory-drilled holes provided on the '94 Winchester and removing the vulgar mid-barrel open sight restores the great old lever action to it's rightful condition.

I'm not sure where someone got the idea that a peep sight sits "higher" than the open sights. The Williams will properly sight-in using the factory front bead, so obviously, it sits at the same height, or within the same height range, by definition.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
All of my '94's have, or will have peep sights. Old eyes find that buckhorn too hard to see, and since you don't have to focus on a peep, I shoot like a teeny bopper again! [Razz]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Mod '94 built in 1911. It was my Grandfather's. HE took the rear sight off and put a Williams Receiver sight on it. I never knew what load he shot, but I did notice w/ the 'lite' stuff of around 150 gr. it was close to dead on at 150 yards.
I've never messed with it and still hunt some with it now.
Put the peep sight on and enjoy!

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - Peep sights are a QUANTUM leep ahead from the crude "buckhorn" Iron sights. I would do it in a heartbeat. The only "sin" is continuing to muddle along with sorry sights when something a lot better is so easily available.

My only advice is use a large rear appature in the peep.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Well Stone , try a ruler or what ever you have around the house then measure. It does sit higher

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I found I could sight in, but no lower than 2" high at 100yds with factory 170gr. I finally changed the sight when they came out with those new fire sights. Not original, but the gun wasn't anyway.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
Well Stone , try a ruler or what ever you have around the house then measure. It does sit higher

My experience is limited to the one Williams receiver sight that I installed on my one 94 Winchester. It zeros to the same point of impact as the previous factory open sight, and does so in the approximate middle of the adjustment range. I conclude from this that it sits at approximately the same height as the original open sight.

I apologize for inferring a generality from this single example, as other makes of sights or models of guns may be different. What's your excuse?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a peep sight on my model seven. I seem to shoot better with it and I know it is faster for me to bring to target. I think it is a great set up for the brush. As far as for your 94 it should set lower than the factory sight.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I dont need an excuse for anything , as i wasn't wrong about anything. you simply stated that the peep doesnt sit higher when it does, the peeps sit on the receiver which is the highest point, I also have a peep on my 94 and never had to change the front sight, put the rear sight back on then look through the peep youll see its higher.Some barrels are differwent there contoured so that you may need a new front sight, Williams lists the front sights to go with the peeps for these rifles. I dont mean to start a fight hear stone but when you posted where anyone got the idea that the peep sits higher, being me . I just wanted to correct you.,