New
Find
Notify
Tools

The D T's, Shakes and Pink Elephants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had all of those recently. [Eek!] The last of Oct I went on a Horseback Mule Deer hunt with 4 Buddies and 2 friends acting as guides in WY.
The problem was...This was the first hunt in over 5 years that I was not hunting with a Double Rifle, or at least have one with me. I took my 300 Win Mag Blaser R93. Which one side of my Brain KNEW was the best rifle for the job. The problem was the other side of my brain...Which kept asking "Where is the other BARREL"? [Confused]
Two of my Buddies took Mule deer, one a very nice and wide 3x3. The other shot a Twelve point [5x7, very nice]. I had a shot at 2 decent deer, but not real Hartfords so I did not shoot. It was a great trip. My buddies both shot their deer at less than 100 yards, but the posibility for a 300 yard shot was there.
I am happy to report I am [nearly] cured. I hunted the opening weekend of Texas deer season with my 9,3x74R Chapuis Double. Did not fire a shot then either, but my mental health has [almost]recovered.
I am going to hunt the duck pond with my wife's drilling in the mornings this weekend and deer with the 9,3 in the evenings, as to continue and finalize my cure. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Tony, you're gonna have to lay off those single barrel junk, or you will loose your edge with the real thing! [Big Grin] Real rifles have more than one barrel! [Roll Eyes]

Good luck on the deer hunting! [Cool]

[ 11-07-2003, 08:00: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Glad you had a great few months . . . But I think you have been too comfortable. Time to venture into the great white north (and -30 temperatures) in February and shoot a bison with Frans and I! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Best,

JohnTheGreek

p.s.
Still might have an opening for Lion in December if either you or your friends are interested.

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw some pink elephants once...

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John
Thanks for the invite, but I must pass this time.
I have hunted when it was -20, and actually I have been colder in Texas. We camped out for 21 days on an Elk hunt where it was below zero most of the time. It was so cold that you could not move the power ring on your variable power scope.
We did get our Elk and I got a noce coyote too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote