Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
 -

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I took this old sow Monday pm with a friend in the Boulder River area of SW Montana. When we spotted her she was mowing down green grass... probably out of the den for only a week or so. After determining there were no cubs around, I decided to take her as I thought she had fine color and good enough size. I had a new and un-bloodied 30-06 featherweight stoked with 180 Hornady's. The range was 225 yards or a bit more... at the shot she did a cartwheel, falling over dead. The shot went in behind the shoulder, punched both lungs and exited in front of the off shoulder. We're guestimating her age at 18 to 22 years... all her teeth were worn down to the gums. The FWP biologist took a tooth for aging but I won't get the results til next fall so the age is strictly a guess.

Brad

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, very beautiful bear and scenery! You've got a nice place to hunt. That's a great trophy.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Brad
I agree with Ann.Very nice bear,super picture.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad........Looks like a very pretty bear.

Where's Boulder River ; south of Bozeman ?

The obsolete weaponry ( 06 and Hornadays) works good , eh ?........ [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ann and Jeff, thanks and good moring!

SD, the Boulder is a drainage south of Big Timber, MT (an hour east of Bozeman) and north of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness... gorgeous country.

Yeah, the 06 sucks [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
Brad, you had me and several others here thinking it was the Boulder River between Helena and Butte. Evidently there haven't been many bears taken out of that area, so you were on the receiving end of some jealous thoughts!

Posts: 4 | Location: Helena, MT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
That's a fine lookin' barr. Congrats! I figured that you woulda taken her with your 300WSM...I'm curious as to why you didn't.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Brad, what are your taxidermy plans for her? She looks like she has a nice pelt.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Brad,

What a great looking bear!!

Congrats,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad: Way to go! Beautiful Trophy, nice shooting and a great picture! I am so jealous! I took a 4 1/2 year old Boar year before last in western Montana that was the same color phase as your Bear. I will be doing a 9 day Bear Hunt here in western Montana myself starting next week. Maybe I should be out there now!
Yes it takes a while for the info from the game biologist to get back to the Bear Hunter but be sure and let us know the age when you do get it back. Long live the 30/06!
Congratulations again!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Very nice bear. I have been gearing up to go bear hunting soon so thanks for the stimulation. I know the Boulder River country well as my brother and I used to take sheep hunters in there and I have taken several goats and bulls in there over the years. You are right..........It is stunning country. I pray for the day we can go in there and hunt a griz if it ever happens. They are thick in there and what a trophy that would be. Good luck in the drawings!Keith

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just greening up enough here in N.W. Montana to get them moving. I saw a sow black and a cub about the size of a house cat on the Swan Highway last Friday, and a couple griz over on the front range Saturday and Sunday. I'll be chasing, or being chased, next week.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Congratulations!!!! Great pic....I'm really happy for ya. What a beautiful bear. That color is just incredible. I bet you did a cart wheel too.....I know I would have!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of kilmer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear. Great pic. I'm heading up there 2 weeks from today. Can't wait.

Posts: 27 | Location: N. Utah, USA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Echo, glad to hear you're not green anymore!

444... sold the 300 WSM. I don't like how little room there is in the magazine with three down. I'll probably get another, possible a Kimber M8400 stainless.

Anne, the pelt will be tanned, but no felt. The skull will get the bug treatment.

Bob TX, thanks!

Keith... I'm REALLY looking forward to that day as well. The grizz no's are high... well beyond the no. quoted years back for allowing a hunt by drawing... of course!

Varmint Guy, Ric, Kilmer... good luck!

Nebraska Jeff... no cartwheel but the bear sure did one! Hope you're enjoying the Swaro's... my Leica's showed up in the brown truck this week!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice bear!!

I went out this morning but got washed away, thunderstorms and incessent rain. Walked to an alledged pipeline cutline, but it must have been a few years back that they put the pipeline in, because I couldn't find it. So my "hunt" turned into a hike-in-the-rain.

Saw two bull elk on the drive home!

I'm trying a different area next week. At least I've *seen* some cutlines there...close to the road though...I might meet more than wildlife.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

BRAD that is a great picture, nice country and beautiful bear also. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Brad,

Great way to break in that rifle! Wonderfull photo aswell, congrats.

HBH