THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The myth of the Hollywood Gun Shot Swan Dive

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The myth of the Hollywood Gun Shot Swan Dive
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Besause, in another life, I got into a very heated pissing match with a poster here I wanted to post this here first.

I just watched the TV show called MythBusters and they tested the myth of the HOLLYWOOD GUN SHOT SWAN DIVE (HGSSD). You know where the shot guy gets thrown all over the place by what ever they are shot with, and I’m sure you have heard of at least one hunting tail of “My ----- (insert caliber and gun there) just picked up that ---- (insert animal there) and knocked it back, forward, up, down, sideways, whatever for ten feet.
The test was set up buy hanging a 180 pound dead pig from a set of gimbals balanced on a hook. Just a very slight shove was needed to knock it off the balance. The test was to shoot the pig with various cartridges to see which one would cause the HGSSD. They started with a 9mm HK rifle on single shot and full auto, m16 on single shot and full auto, .44RemMag revolver 240g bullet (Dirty Harry movie load), a sniper rifle (think a .308, not sure), .45ACP (they used a Thompson on single shot and full auto) and finally and 12ga slug gun. The pig NEVER MOVED (they had high speed cameras set up focused on the pig) even when all those guns but the 12ga were on the pig at the same time. Until a single shot from the 12ga slug gun caused a fall, then all it did was fall straight down off the balance because the legs had been spread from the slug hitting the hip knuckle. So there you go that whole first paragraph is pure BS.

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Off topic but i have always wanted to know is a bullet hot when it hits something?

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well DUH! Anyone who has ever actually shot anything knows the HGSSD is BS.

YES a bullet is hot when it hits. Feels like a hot poker being pushed through you.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bloodnativ:
Well DUH! Anyone who has ever actually shot anything knows the HGSSD is BS.

YES a bullet is hot when it hits. Feels like a hot poker being pushed through you.

Smiler Perhaps the real question should be is there a caliber designation for 1/2 inch rope and a body harness? Smiler

Regards a bullet being hot, do not pick up a 44 RM that bounces back and lands at your feet. The steel plate you just shot was secretly very hot unknown to you, and transfered a great deal of heat to the bullet!

(You already know, no need to ask.) Smiler

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that in the hunting videos in this forum, A duiker gets shot with a 375/404 and does no backflips. That to me would be the ultimate test, shooting a poodle sized animal with a snot kickin elephant gun...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the record when I try to exaggerate about a kill, I like the phrase "turnin 'em inside out" because I know animals do not get tossed after the shot.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Conner wrote an article about the myth of knockdown power years ago. I have it in one of my books at home. His conclusion was that there is no weapon capable from being fired from the shoulder that posseses enough energy to knock any big game animal off it's feet. Sudden disruption of the CNS or major skeletal system can cause an animal to collapse and give that illusion but there is no such thing as "knockdown". As usual JOC was right on target.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote