Find
Notify
Tools

oregon
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
I'm going elk hunting in southern oregon this fall. anybody had any experiences in that area?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted in Oregon, but used to Salmon and Steelhead fish there and I saw some of the biggest Elk I've ever seen in my life. I envy you.

Welcome to Accurate Reloading.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
thanks Red. We usually hunt in colorado, but I have an uncle who lives in Oregon so we're going to try it out there and hopefully save a little $$

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Southern Oregon last year, three buddies and I bought over the counter tags and we brought back two bulls, on 6x6 and one 2x5 non- typical (5 points on one side, 2 on the other, stump like antler).

The hunting pressure is very high, with ATV use and road hunters everywhere. We took our bulls within an hour of Medford, make sure you have very good maps showing private and public lands as there are many parcels of BLM land in between private ranches. Opening day the Elk were hammered on the ranches where they had been eating all summer, and we caught them running, literally running, down a draw and took a bull just as they crossed into public land.

It's nice country, a mix of open fields and very tight scrub oak; up in the hills you'll get your usual conifer forests broken up by clear cuts and rimrock, if your Elk rolls down hill expect a tough pack out.

Have fun, I'll be down there this year too.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Klamath Falls and hunted the Cascades a lot. Elk hunting there is tougher than other places I've hunted. It's the whole picture; rugged mountains, dense cover, high pressure, spot and stalk is not nearly as effective.

But, The animals from high ground are phenomenal. Hard to get, but nice ones are definitely around.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Sam! Never hunted Or. But wish the the best hunt of your life. Pretty country out that way. Cascades are awsome!
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I live down here and of course hunt here...

what would you like to know?

can line you up in good spots.. after that, it is just called hunting...there are no guarantees, but there is definitely enough of them out there...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote