New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally got him! (pic)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I have been hunting this deer for the past month. He was first seen during our annual helicopter census.

The only time I've seen him on the ground was crossing a road between two stands of heavy brush. So the other afternoon I decided to lay on top of a tank dam near where he was crossing. With just enough shooting light left he stepped out of the brush and gave me the shot I needed. I way lying prone and it was like shooting off a benchrest. I used my Blaser 7mmMag with a 140 grain Barnes X bullet. The bullet went through both shoulders and dropped him in a cloud of dust. He field dressed 205 pounds which is a pig for South Texas.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow, great deer! I thought that all you had to do in Texas was to wait for the corn feeder to go off.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice looking buck -- congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations on ANOTHER superb whitetail. Your recent handgun trophy was nice, but this one -- well, it's really impressive.

I am guessing that the 2006 season is one that you'll remember for a long, long time...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats he is a real Nice one.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey M16, Congratulations on a fine Buck.

Is it normal for your all's Deer to have the Antlers go "up" on the ends like that?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
M16, That's a toad for sure. 205 FD is a monster for TX.

Have you had a chance to score him yet.

Congrats

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, and worth the wait. Way to go 16.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awsome M16!! A dandy.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another great deer!

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Great looking buck. Put the tape on him yet?

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy. I love those tall whitetails! -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats, M16, super buck!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Nice buck M16.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it normal for your all's Deer to have the Antlers go "up" on the ends like that?

I wouldn't say it is rare for the antlers in our area to have this shape but I have not seen a lot like this over the years.

I rough scored him and he should gross around 155. Short tined deer just don't score well. His beams are right at 25 and mass is 35. Inside spread is 20.5.

I've shot a bunch of deer that scored a lot more but this has been one of the toughest if not the toughest deer I have hunted in quite some time. He was seen one time last year.

I finally got him patterned crossing the road almost everyday just before dark. Even when I was watching from a distance with a spotting scope he would spot me every time. We played cat and mouse off and on for nearly a month and although I had some chances the distance was always too far to risk taking a shot at that time of the day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's he score, net I mean?

Thx

Nice buck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M16, very nice buck with Huge body for a Texas deer, IMHO. Where in Texas are you hunting? I have seen a couple that would go close to your deer in body weight along the Red River, but not many. I think when they get that big/old they are almost completely nocturnal.
Again, congrats on the nice Texas deer and happy eating.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! thumb I am surprised you haven't been attacked on here for shooting it from a stand or on a fenced ranch! Roll Eyes

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He should net right at 150 give or take an inch.

quote:
Where in Texas are you hunting?

LaSalle county in South Texas

quote:
I am surprised you haven't been attacked on here for shooting it from a stand or on a fenced ranch!

I don't think you can consider an earthen berm on a tank a stand. And the ranch has some high fence on one side but the deer have six miles of low barbed wire fence to leave if they want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
...I wouldn't say it is rare for the antlers in our area to have this shape but I have not seen a lot like this over the years.
Hey M16, I always like the ones where the Antlers are just a bit different, gives them character and easier to distinguish at a distance.

I really like the ones that have broken tines the best since they have obviously been defending their turf.

quote:
...this has been one of the toughest if not the toughest deer I have hunted in quite some time. He was seen one time last year.

I finally got him patterned crossing the road almost everyday just before dark. Even when I was watching from a distance with a spotting scope he would spot me every time. We played cat and mouse off and on for nearly a month and although I had some chances the distance was always too far to risk taking a shot at that time of the day.
Hunting a specific Deer over a longer time span makes it a real Trophy. Figuring out where a specific Deer might be or should be really is what makes it a great memorable Trophy. Speaks well for your Hunting skill.

Continued good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:

Thx

Nice buck

Mark D

Just my opinion, but I think net score is the biggest crock of sh*t ever in the history of hunting!!! You're taking credit away from what the buck grew, antler wise. Why? Based on symmetry? Give me a break Roll Eyes I never have and never will score a deer for net score, I think it's just plain criminal.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck anywhere it was shot. Good work there.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Love the antler configuration! That is a toad for TX!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns