THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    THE AGE OLD QUESTION, if you have just one.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE AGE OLD QUESTION, if you have just one.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
caliber choice, in ANY action, any make, any rifle, scoped or irons you wish, to stalk the planet the rest of your days, what would it be?

Remember this is for all hunting around the world, from the Dik DIk, to the elephant, from ground hog to polar bear?

Ammo is whatever you wish, no restrictions.

IF you wish, give theory or reason for your choice.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I geuss if i could have just one, it would be a remington 700 chambered in 300 ultra mag. wearing a vx 3, 3.5 to 10. I cant imagine much that combination couldnt handle.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I hear the minimum for elephant is the 375, so I guess that would be it. My next gun is going to be a sendero 300rum Though.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll have a go at it. This is just for fun, right? My choice would be the M-14 with full auto selector. The .308 in semi-auto would be adequate for any deer sized critter for putting food on the table, while full rock 'n roll should suffice for anything with teeth and claws. Although difficult to control in full auto, just start low and let 'er rip. I think I remember a post where Ray was talking about the natives killing elephant with their full auto AK-47's. The 7.62 NATO should outperform their 7.62X39 in that department. I'd want several magzines in both 5 and 20 round (I think the 5 rounders would give better balance when hunting), probably a slip on recoil pad, and maybe a detachable scope. A 3X9 Leupold Compact should suffice.

The FN-FAL or H&K G-3 wouldn't be a bad choice either

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I think one of the Montana actions built up on 8MM RM, removeable 2.5 scope, with peep sight and ivory bead ramp, would do for me just fine. Of course I would have to hook up with one of the custom bullet makers to get the most out of it, very doable deed today. 26 inch barrel, of course. Would have to borrow a gun for Africa DG, doable also, I think, if it ever became a point of concern. One gun - you sick?

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this type of thread is usually started by someone who wants to get a 375 H&H and a long buch of posts supporting the 375 H&H are required

The "North America only" gun/posting is usually made to gain support for an upcoming purchase of either a 338 Winchester or 340 Wby.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

caliber choice, in ANY action, any make, any rifle, scoped or irons you wish, to stalk the planet the rest of your days, what would it be?

Remember this is for all hunting around the world, from the Dik DIk, to the elephant, from ground hog to polar bear?

Ammo is whatever you wish, no restrictions.

IF you wish, give theory or reason for your choice.

For me it would probably br the .375 Dakota. It gives .375 H&H balistics in a regular length beltless case. It would be built on a controlled round feed action. Probably a M98. And have a synthetic stock and be topped of with a Leupold scope.

It would have to shoot my handloads. Preferably the Barnes X bullet.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 for me.

I would think most shooting will be at medium to smaller game although I would not be afraid of anything on the planet with the 06 and proper loads. The wide choice of loads gives the caliber variety.

The 375 may be min req for elephanut but since I've never shot a 375, I'd be much more comfy with my 06 pump and a well placed shot.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have a .375 H&H that's built on an extensively reworked controlled-feed Model 70 action with a Kreiger barrel, rugged open sights, and a pair of Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6X scopes in detachable rings. Stock is a pillar-bedded McMillan.

This gun is a tackdriver, absolutely reliable, built without compromise, and if I could own only one hunting rifle for world-wide use it would be this particular .375 H&H.

AD

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Gimme a good M98 in 8x57IS, preferably a Husqvarna, and some good ammo, and I�ll bag whatever steps on this earth. However, sometimes I�d prefer a treestand!

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I'll break ranks here, and say I would realy consider the 8mm Remington Mag. It seems to be the best kept "secret" in the shooting world. It is a powder burner when compared to the new "short magnums", but I really believe you could hunt anything from varmints to rhino's with it. My choice of Rifle? If I could have ANYTHING I wanted? 8mm in a BAR

But for hunting purposes I would settle for a Dakota Bolt action, 26 in bbl. muzzle break, and a Burris Compact 3-9 variable scope. Sweet!!!

Ooops!!!....I didn't see 8mm's post! I guess I'm number 2.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I allready have that gun.

A 375 wea, built on a wea action, a shilen barrel with a xxxxx classic valnut stock . It wears a Zeiss V 2,5-10x50 with illuminated reticle mouted in EAW claw mounts. The second scope for the gun is a Zeiss V variopoint 1,1-4 for the up and close encounters with big and mean critters and predators. Shoots 300grs Hornady bullets in 2750 f/s into 1/2 moa out to about 300y and 300 A-frame into 1 moa out to the same range. For long range use a 265 GS HV in 3000 f/s does better than I'm capable of in any sane range

A good second choice is my custom 416 Rem mag, CZ 550 Mag action, macmillan stock and the same scopes as above. For DG use this one is better than the first. Hits harder and has more magasine capasity.

But DG is once every decade, so I guess the first one will do.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
9,3x64 in FN Mauser with a leupold VXIII 2.5x8 with a 23" bbl. Less punishing than a 375HH 250 Nosler BTs for most stuff, 286 grn solids for bigger stuff, and 320 woddleighs for the biggest stuff.

Hey Damn I already have this rifle...cept that knucklehead Atkinson had a 25" bbl put on it...better cut 2" inches off..better not Ray will have me gill flirted...whatever that means...

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416 Taylor. I have one and find it both versatile and managable. Better to err on the side of cation for the ocasional big stuff.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 built on large ring mauser. weaver steel tube k2.5, post/crosshair reticle. best-grade island rear sight, white line front blade with hood. 23.5 inch barrel. mcmillan sporter stock, glas-bedded; or walnut slim sporter stock, epoxy finished, double cross bolts, glas-bedded. some kinda matte finish on steel. oh, and the plane tickets and other wherewithall to use that rascal all over the world. i am building up a light-caliber version of this rifle: swede 96 in 6.5x55, walnut stock (no need for crossbolts in that chambering).

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
It would be my Dennis Erhardt built 9.3 Dakota. 375 dakota necked down to 9.3 It's built on a 98 Mauser with a Blackburn box and bottom metal, 26" Kreiger barrel with a pre 64 win safari express sight, barrel band front sight and front sling, extra recoil lug under the rear sight, 3 panel checkerd bolt knob. Stocked in extra fancy english walnut. Warne quick detachable rings with a 3x10 Swarovski. It will do anything i need it too if i do my part i believe.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
30.06 Steyr ProHunter.
If I ever get to hunt something that needs a bigger bullet than the .06 I'll borrow whatever my PH has available.
I'm in to hunting not gun collecting.
I would just as soon do my hunting with a recurve bow- much more challenging.

hey- I used to hunt VC&NVA with a 55g223 and they had a 125g7.62x39- and shot back! I don't know of any animals that are armed and shoot back?

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Any rifle?

My dream rifle for a one gun battery.

A David Miller marksman in 375 ultra.

With a 3.5-10x40 leupold matte scope on it.

Why , cause I really like the rifles and the caliber.
-----------------------

What I have now is a rem ss 700 375 ultra with a 3x9 leupold compact silver scope on it.

I plan on using 272 grain groove bullets or 300 northforks at full velocity for my hunting. I have loaded some 270 failsafes which would work also.

I also want to try some 260 partitions or 250 northforks at 2600-2700 fps for my wife to use on bears. (I think I am going to get her a 260 rem for the rest of her hunting).

Saeeds 375-404 videos hooked me on the 375 ultra.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PERSONALLY I was really torn on this one because I REALLY LIKE my .340Wby. I have made shots with it you just can't make with most calibers.

BUT

Like some of the posters, I already have my idea of one gun fits all.
Have my Model 70 in .375H&H, set in a kevlar stock, so it IS light.(8 pounds without ammo or sling) Has a G&H side mount so I can go from irons to scope and back faster then I can type this out(right now it wears a Burris compact mini 2-7X). The rifle will make all the holes touch with Barnes X bullets and the McArthur brake makes the whole package recoil at .243 level.

With all the different bullets available for loading...can cover the spectrum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I don't want to hunt anywhere else but in Alaska, but if I ever did, I would use the only big game rifle I own. I am most familiar with this rifle, and it has become a very reliable tool. As such, I have kept it clean and lubricated, and every year, except for two years ago, it has brought meat to my table. The rifle is a stainless Ruger M77 MK-II in .338WM, that is topped by a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x scope. A great combination for my type of hunting in Alaska, and one of the top (if not the top choice) with Alaska hunters.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 MKII "All Weather" in .300 Win Mag. It wears a Leupold Vari X-III in 2.5X8X36. It is a tack driver with 180 and 200 grain bullets, it really like 200gr Nosler Partitions.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Model 70 Stainless Steel in .358 STA. A 225 grain bullet for the small stuff and a 270 or 300 grain bullet for the big stuff. A real tack driver with any size bullets. My scope is a 4.5 X 14 Leupold with 30MM tube. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd opt for my 60's vintage Remington M-700 BDL in 7mm Rem. Mag.!!!

I just wouldn't allow myself to get into a situation where the "hunted" becomes the "hunter"!

I have a lot of confidence in this rifle and I've hunted New York, South Dakota and Alaska with it!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
if i could only have one i would just take any old caliber i could get my hands on and just shoot myself in the head with it

Posts: 7 | Location: kansas city kansas USA | Registered: 19 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Model 94, 30-30 would do me fine, but I would like a good Williams receiver sight. And a sling.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Easy... My 378 Lazermark

Shoots like this!

270gr Factory Hornady 3180 fps!

272 gr Grooves 3150 fps

270 XLC at 3130 fps

Now why would I need another?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a 300 weatherby with 200 grain partitions to hunt the world. But a 375 H and H sounds pretty tempting.

Hey Allen Day I believe I've seen that extensively reworked .375 and of all the other choices here I might have to agree with you

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to choose my cz 550 .375 H&H, I would add a composite stock for bit better weather protection. I could load from 235 gr speers right through to 350 gr woodleigh's.My cz .375 has no c-clip and is as strong and reliable as a rifle comes. Also shoots great. For spotlighting I would have various leupolds set up in warne QD's for different loads.

For the one rifle question it just has to be the .375 H&H

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The timing of this question is PERFECT for me, as I have done just enough load development and design work to come up with the PERFECT answer.

Sako 75 SS in 375 RUM, 1 in 10 twist, 24 inch bbl. This is supported by my current reloading shop, which includes custom sabots supporting .338, .308 and .277 caliber bullets in the .375 bore.

All brass will be from RUM cylindrical, allowing the insertion of ceramic tubluar chases to line the inside of the case and reduce volume for load flexibility.

That's it...I'm done. I can duplicate any .277, .308, .338, or 375 load out there with accuracy = 1MOA.

Like speed? How about 150 gr Nosler BT .277 at over 4000 fps? I have done that.

Like Power? Try a 350 gr Woodleigh .375 at 2650 fps. I have done that.

Like low recoil? Try and .308 180 gr Nosler Partition at 3000 fps launched by only 37 grains of Lil Gun using a ceramic insert. I have done that.

So, whats left to do with ONE rifle?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
9.3x62 on a model 70 action. Premo piece of English walnut in a british express rifle style stock adapted for high open sights, but still good for a 1.75-6x scope in QR rings and bases. Make it custom stock with a 7+1 mag and 24 LPI full wrap checkering on the grip and forend. A good quality aftermarket barrel at about 22.5" long. Weighing in a 8.75-9lbs would be just about right. Glass bedded and pinned to keep the stock from splitting, and a barrel band for the sling. Yes, that would do nicely.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Hmm..a true toss-up.

My first choice is my Win M70 Supreme Classic rebarreled in .300H&H Mag w/ 200grn Noslers.

However, for shooting in Africa, I might want the extra oomph of my custom Springfield '03 in .338 Win Mag.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 long rifle, Ruger Single Six.

Since I am too lazy to shoot any animal more than 20 yards from the truck, and uphill to boot, all calibers are equally effective for me. It also does not matter whether I take ammunition along.

So, given all that, you might as well choose a firearm that is inexpensive to own and to operate.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 26 operational big game rifles and have owned/used about four times that number; picking just one is difficult.

I have a very special Pre-64 Mod. 70 Alaskan in .338 Win. that has beautiful factory wood, a silent safety and smooth action. I completely glassbedded this rifle and re=finished the stock in 20+ coats of Dem-Bart oil. It has a one piece Leupie QR base, an old Redfield receiver sight, a Redfield Sourdough front sight and wears Leupie 1.75x6 Matte H.D. scopes in QR rings. It likes Nozzie 250 Pts. over 76 grs. of RE-22 or Hornady 250 Spits over the same. I love this rifle and would use it first for anything. I have three spares exactly the same, but, with synthetic stocks, just in case.

I also have a Dakota 76 with truely gorgeous wood, in .338 with a Leupie LPS 1.5x6 and it would be my second choice; it shoots superb groups with the above load increased by one grain and using Pt. Golds.

If, I were in Alaska or Africa, I might prefer my old Mod. 70 in .375H&H or even a custom in .416 Rem, but, if it came down to one, my old friend would be it. I have had it beside me in the most isolated parts of B.C., alone in the mountains for months on end and it NEVER fails me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre-64 in 375 H&H, tuned action and trigger, McMillan S-G stock, Leupold 2x7x33 in Talley rings with a Talley peep for backup.

And... I already have it

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I agree Holmes,
Mine's box stock and I'll slick it up a bit one of these days but a Pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H is my choice for the universal rifle.

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
For me, it's a Mod 70 SS Classic, 338 Win Mag. I hunt in Alaska most years, so that caliber is perfect for up North. However, if my hunting days were over up there, it would be my Pre-War 64, 30-06. That rifle is the best functioning rifle I've ever owned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
INTERESTING how with all the calibers out there...
except for a few exceptions, all the calibers are starting with .3