New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huntin fool subscriptions??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here subscribed to the Huntin Fool service. If so, do you think it is worth the money, or the amount of time saved during research into here to hunt? Your opinions are requested.

Thank you

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of the hunting fool service.What is it?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HuntinFool is a paid membership service which gives recommendations to its subscribing members on units for Western US hunts. They also have contacts for guided hunts, cancelled hunts, landowner tags, and they will apply in the Draws on your behalf. With your $100 membership, they also send a magazine. Other services are more $$$$.

I am not a subscriber to their service. I do not like getting information that all the other 10,000+- members get. The information they provide can all be obtained for free. I know that they claim they have excellent deals on cancelled outfitted hunts, but those really good deals are skimmed off before the average member gets a chance. I am very good friends with many subscribers and they have had little luck with the personal contact aspect promised thru the service.

In the end, if you have an extra $100 and don't enjoy researching your Western Hunt Units then get the service and the mag. They do put out a nice publication and give you good details on HOW to apply in Western States. The service they provide for $100 isn't outrageously priced and it will help some with a starting point. It can be another tool to help you. Just don't expect to get information which will provide "secret" spots for you and the other 10,000+- subscribers.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most on the internet already know, There is a lot of free information to be had. The problem is having the time to find it and knowing where to look. As with the -net, I do not expect to get super secret info from Huntin fool, but am looking for good info that will steer me in the right direction. If the info they provide is "common knowledge" and easy to find, the the $100 is better spent applying for some more tags.

FWIW, Although I currently reside in the midwest, I have spent the majority of my life out west and enjoy hunting big country....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I do, (please keep in mind I am a cheap-skate). I list all the states I want to hunt on a piece of paper, highest priority to lowest. Then when I get a minute here or there I look-up each state's website and find out 5 specifics:
1- When is their application deadline.
2- What species do they have which I would like to hunt.
3- What are the resident odds for tags.
4- What is the cost.
5- How/how long to obtain a tag.

Once I answer the questions then I research the few, best units (by draw odds). Then I put the application dates on the calender and apply as they come around. If I do this once then I can use the list year after year (with just a quick check on app dates and permit odds). I also make quick notes under each state as I learn something new. I kind of enjoy doing the leg work, trying to make it happen for me.

If I could afford to put in for every state then I would buy the HuntinFool subscription just to get the quick starting points.

Best of Luck find what works best for you.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote