Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hog / Ram hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hey y'all. Well.....I just booked a 3 day hog / ram hunt for myself and a friend of mine with Ken Gould of Rio Bravo Hunting for the last week of June. We'll be hunting a 1,850 acre low fenced ranch near Dripping Springs, TX. My friend is hunting for 2 days and will be a non-hunter for the 3rd. However, I'll be hunting for all 3 days.......daylight to dark Big Grin. I will be allowed to take 2 trophy rams and 5 hogs. I'm really looking forward to it!! I'll be sure to post a report when we get back.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on the hunt...and don't forget to post pictures when you return.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you so that maybe you'll have some cloud cover and a bit of a break from this heat. I know you are in Texas and are accustomed to it -- but be careful anyway!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When are you going to reschedule your Africa hunt? You had 2 trips go under if I remember correctly?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Yukon.........yes you are correct. We haven't decided whether it will be in 2009 or 2010.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well.......my friend and I just returned from our hunt. We had a BLAST!! However, we didn't kill anything. In 3 days of hunting we saw 300-400 hogs!! We just decided not to shoot any because we didn't really need the meat and we didn't really feel like cleaning them. We only saw 2 rams, which we passed because they weren't that big and it was still the first day. The area is extremely dry right now and Ken said the hunting is much better when it rains. In fact, since we were unsuccessful, he offered to let us come back for one day after it rains next time, for free. Ken is a stand up guy......a little rough around the edges, but very funny and he did his best for us. The stars just didn't line up right I guess. The lodging and meals were A+.......very clean and nice. We saw lots of whitetail and turkeys as well. Even though we didn't kill anything......it was still one of the most fun hunting trips I've been on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland, sounds like a great trip. My in-laws live in Austin so I could do his place. What accommodations did they have for the game after it was down? You said you did not want to clean, but what will they do? Again, great trip.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
larrys,

That was one thing I didn't care for was the game care. They have a cleaning rack but no lights and no walk in cooler......not yet at least. While I was there Ken got approval from the owners of the ranch to buy a walk in cooler, but he said it was like pulling teeth. As far as I know, you are responsible for cleaning your game yourself. However, he does have a friend that owns a meat processor that will come pick up your animal, skin it, clean it, quarter it, and keep it in his cooler until the end of your hunt for $75.