New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightning has struck again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Worked all night last night on a wire down callout. Got everyone back in power and home at 4 a.m. My buddy starts calling me at 7:45 to tell me he drew a desert sheep tag. So after I get woken up enough to think about it I had my wife check our credit card. Knock me over with a feather there's a $300 charge for AZ sheep! It'll be a long wait for results to post and see who's tag and what unit. You couldn't knock the smile off my face right now. Having had a desert tag myself 2 years ago it's most likely a desert tag for my wife but it could be a rocky tag for me.

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Wow that is probably quite a feeling. Can't wait to see the report....and the trophy!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. It must be like winning the lotto. dancing

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So which tag did you get? Your bighorn or your wife's desert sheep?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'd bet money on it being my wife's tag. She had 22 bonus points so statistically it should be hers. Every year there's a few people with little to no points that draw though. Hoping results will post by the end of next week. A great friend of mine has also been charged for a sheep tag. With any luck I'll be able to watch 2 desert rams shot this fall. Will post details when they make results available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed reading this. Went through a similar experience. My buddy texted to joke that he drew CA B deer tags again as we usually do after striking out on all the premium hunts. I was at work so had to wait until that night to check.

I started hunting late in life, unfortunately the year AFTER California instituted the points system. Having one less than max points is pretty much equivalent to no points.

So I get home from work to check CA draw and sit their dumbfounded to see a 'Y' by my Cady Mountains sheep hunt draw.

Took me about 30 minutes to decide it was for real. I must have drawn the fourth only random tag with odds over 2000 to 1. Thought it would never happen in my lifetime.

Will start a 'Preparing for my Desert Sheep Hunt Thread' to spare Kyler Hamann all my emails about it! Congrats to you, hope it's your Bighorn tag. So exciting.

Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it Sean. I know 2 years ago when I drew my desert tag the excitement was mixed with some panic because I was short on vacation time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. In AZ it's relatively easy to find the last tag holders in a given unit and since its literally a once in a lifetime tag they were all eager to share knowledge. In my case a friend had the tag the previous year. Biologists,game wardens,guides,and the Desert Bighorn Sheep Society were all very helpful also. I'd imagine this will be the case with your California tag. I found that people in general are excited about sheep and want to see you be successful. This time around I'm shocked that we have a tag again but I'm much more relaxed and prepared for it no matter which tag it is. Here's a link to my sheep hunt.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...021003612#5021003612

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous ram! Congrats. I'm looking forward to all the prep. We have a required orientation in Sacramento so I expect I'll meet the other four hunters in my unit. The season runs 3 months so plenty of time. (Dec-Feb) I have booked Dry Creek Outfitters to help me get my ram. It is a 14 day tent camp with them doing some scouting. Also have talked with Josh Schulgen of Kika Worldwide, they took a 173 there last year. Hunting Fool shows the unit as not producing the biggest rams but everyone says it is a very fun hunt and you will see lots of rams. They are recommending January when the rams will be bachelored up and easier to find and judge. So excited!

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Results are out. This time I get to watch my wife shoot her dream AZ desert ram! With 22 points it was a longshot but I'm really excited for her. Dec 8 we'll be hunting sheep in 37A!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you guys. That's my dream hunt. Good luck and take some pics for us please.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx JG. I'll be taking lots of pics and video. I actually worked in the middle of the Unit for 4 years. Saw sheep every day and helped out during a disease outbreak with catching and medicating sheep. Really cool after the history I have with the sheep there to get to hunt them now. Looks to be a large camp of our best friends and extended family. Can't imagine it getting any better. I'll post some trail cam pics from last year from the unit when I get them downloaded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Southwesthunter,
Congrats to the boss!

Check your PM.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10562 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your wife drawing an outstanding desert sheep tag. I'm looking forward to reading your hunt report.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Proof Research Sendero barrel in 6.5 waiting to be built. So with that in mind this morning I bought a 700 stainless steel receiver and bolt,AG Composite 26 ounce carbon fiber all terrain classic sporter stock,Calvin Elite Timney trigger,and a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 first focal plane scope. Looks like the wife will have a new rifle to shoot her sheep with. That power outage overtime money went fast!