THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to step up to a mid-bore rifle to hunt larger game, and I've fairly settled on a .308-caliber. I'd like one rifle that I can take on almost any kind of hunt anywhere in the country.

My question is whether the .30-06 can do anything that the .308 Winchester can not. The difference between them seems very marginal at best, 100-150 fps in any bullet weight.

Posts: 6 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot my .308 for a number of years now. It is my go to caliber to deer. Short action light rifle that still packs a wallop. All the deer i shot went down with one bullet. I have to records on the 30-06 but as you will probably see people will swear by it. The .308 would be plenty of gun for elk too out to 250-300 yards.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you've already found, there is not a lot of difference between the 308 and the '06. Both are fine cartridges. I think it just depends on your personal preferences, and what kind of "big game" you're after. The 308 is clearly ample for any kind of deer, and the recoil is less. If you're after elk, you might do a little better with the '06, but I know of many elk cleanly taken with the 308.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Mid bore I thought you were talking about a 338 or somthing like that. I have several of each 308s and 06s I guess I prefer the 06 just because it handles heavier bullets a bit better.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like the 30/06 mainly because thats just what I know, I have never owned a .308.

If you want to shoot 200 gr bullets then I would opt for the 30/06.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 308 quite a bit. With bullets up to 180grains the difference between the two is minimal. The 30-06 is the better choice of the two for bullets of 200 grains and up.
You cannot go wrong with either.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the points are already covered in here.

The 308 is supposed to be the more accurate of the two.

The /06 will give you the ability to handle the 190-200-220 grain bullets a lot better for more velocity.

I handload a 200 grain bullet to 2825-2850 in a 30/06, 24 inch barrel. ( waiting for the critics to jump on that one too, as I put on the flack jacket and helmet)

Which ever one allows you to place the bullet where the boiler is on what you are hunting is the one you need to carry.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making use of the heaviest .30 caliber bullets is the only definite edge the '06 has over the .308. Otherwise, the power difference isn't that much.

Posts: 174 | Location: texas | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet design has leveled the field so much there are few shots you can take with a 200gr /06 load that you can't take with a 165gr .308 Win.

Used to be the only way to increase penetration was increase bullet weight, because simply increasing velocity would increase fragmentation with no penetration gained. Now with bonded bullets, penetration may be gained by upping both weight and velocity.

Or penetration may be gained by using bullets that have a frangible front section that sheds or peels back to a resilient base section, like partitions or X-bullets. I consider 1600fps to be about minimum impact velocity for these bullets and the .308 will deliver this velocity out to 600 yds with 165 or 180gr. Plenty for broadside shots at ranges longer than you will ever need to shoot in the field. Even if you are an extremely capable shot and inclined to shoot at extreme ranges you'd still need to practice and learn drop just as much with the /06.

(Deep angle shots are another thing altogether even with these bullets. To my way of thinking even at close range I would be reluctant to rely on lengthwise penetration on elk and larger with any chambering, given the likelihood of bullet deflection within the animal)

[ 07-14-2003, 19:46: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire--If I was you I'd put on several flack jackets and helmets.

You either have the fastest sumbitch of a tube around or your clock is FUBAR.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balisarda,

I would have to agree with most of the above. Up to 180 grains, there won't be a noticeable difference on game although my own feeling is that 165 grains is optimum for the .308 with 180, 200 and 220 grains being more suitable to the .30-06. Where the .308 shines in my view is that they can be had in a short action on a 20" barrel which when you get up to my age you will appreciate more and more as the years go by. My own personal choice is my Savage Sierra which is light, durable and has done everything I've asked of it. The other thing that is important is a good bullet choice i.e. Fail Safe or Swift A-Frame. And that's my 2 cents for today. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

quote:
waiting for the critics to jump on that one too, as I put on the flack jacket and helmet

You really want to stir up the natives today don'tcha?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 will best the .308 with 200 and 220 gr. bullets, no doubt about that. They are pretty equal with 180 with the edge going to the 06 once again, with the 150 and 165 gr. bullets it is about a draw...

In the real world of shooting game, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference and that would enclude a multitude of other cartridges until one gets to the 300's and thats a maybe.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
If you can get 2850 with a 200 gr. bullet in a 30-06 then your chronograph is broken..I don't doubt your word, just your chronograph...It simply cannot be done...at least not within the pressure limits of safe shooting...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire....

Of course you can get those speeds, with that weight of bullet. It probably isn't even terribly dangerous, and you probably won't see a lot of "pressure signs". It will just age your gun about ten times faster than a normal load.

I have an instrumented 24" 30-06, and can get almost 2800 fps out of a 180 grain bullet, and still be within safe limits, about 57,500 PSI. Pressure signs don't really start to show up until about 65-70,000 PSI, which is much too hot for decent gun life (unless you're P O Ackley, but that's another story).

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt fot the 06. When loaded to the same pressures it easily outshines the 308. It is very light recoiling and ammo is everywhere. There are reasons it is the most popular caliber around.

I have shot elk with my M1A NM in 308. That was just because I did not have an 06-divorce cleaned out gun collection.

Now I use 165 Hornady Interlocks for deer and antelope and 200 Noslers for elk. No problems.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote