THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Transporting compound bow & equipment between US and Canada

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transporting compound bow & equipment between US and Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Also posted in the Canadian hunting forum

Hi, I apologize if this is a repeat of other posts - if so, can someone please direct me to them?

I'm trying to determine whether I need to fill out any paperwork for my compound bow, arrows, etc. I'm hunting black bear in New Brunswick in June. I know there's a lot of paperwork for guns, but is there any for archery equipment? If so, does it have to be done ahead of time or can it be done at the border?

Thanks.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call the Canada Border Services Agency and ask.

The last time I went in 2012 there was nothing special to do. I declared mine at the border, and they let me on through.

Now, getting back, it isn't a bad idea to have a 4457 with your bow and optics on it, or at least proof of purchase in the USA. Our customs folks can be much more fun to deal with and will happily charge you duty if they decide to. Not a common occurrence, but you don't want to be that guy.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to do anything other than a from 4458 on the US side to declare your bow so you don't get taxed coming through on the way back.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Do you know what I need to do for the 4457? Do I need to take it to a local customs office and get it signed by a Customs/Border Patrol agent BEFORE my trip, or can I do all the paperwork at the border when I'm driving up there? I won't be flying, so not sure if that makes a difference...

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do not think the CBSA doesnt need anything than your verbal declaration.

if you do not mind i can ask the local officers on monday.

cant help for the US side.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I went to Alberta last May with my bow and other then verbally declaring it nothing else was needed.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2804 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to do the 4457 prior to your trip. Get the form online, fill it out and take it and your stuff to the CBP office nearest you.

They check that the serial numbers match, sign and stamp the form. Pretty straightforward process.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Been there a few times with bow and arrow. Never a problem -- would recommend the 4457. It is pretty easy -- just take your bow to the customs office at the nearest international airport. The good news is once it is done, never have to do it again on those items.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote