New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Lion rifle???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be the ideal Mt. Lion rifle and caliber? I'm thinking you'd want a light weight rifle in a fairly light caliber. So how about a Thompson Center Encore in 308, 7mm-08 or even 243? I could down load the 308 or 7mm-08, if needed. Would you top it with a low power fixed scope, say a 2.5 or 3x?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Most of the hound hunters around here carry pistols. For a rifle, something light in 44 mag sounds about right. If hound hunting, you'll be carrying that rifle a lot more than shooting it. Cat's aren't that hard to kill, anyway. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are pretty easy to kill, thin skinned and not much body mass. Dutch is right, a hand gun. Light and easy to carry. We use .41 mags with hollow points. But that 6.5x55 on your name would work to.;-) A contender of any sorts is not bad either.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Think "light". A rifle in general is too much weight to pack around on some of these types of hunts (call Martin and ask him how far we hiked after that female a few years ago) but I think an Encore in 243 is plenty. The problem is that you don't really want a high velocity calibre that is going to blow the hell out of the hide. I would actually load solids for cat if it were legal in the area I would be hunting. A handgun or bow makes a lot more sense than a rifle for me but I think a synthetic stocked Model 7 loaded with .308 solids is just about right for the guy committed to using a rifle.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty much set on a rifle. I've never been much of a shot with a pistol and I haven't bow hunted in years. Then again, since I'm looking at '06 for this hunt, it would give me time and be a good reason to learn how to shot that recurve I bought a few years ago. The recurve is light, but now days I'm more of a rifle guy. I could download the 308 to 30-30 velocities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I used a 32 Special M-94 and the guide who has hunted cat for 25 years thought the 30-30 was perfect. Since the 32 and 30-30 are ballistic twins I think he was right in that the bullet did its job but did not exit to damage the hide. I shot the cat up through the brisket and the cat was dead when he hit the ground. I did think for a minute that a low power scope would have been nice since I was trying to put a bullet through a 6"x6" hole in about a million branches directly over my head.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna carry a rifle such as a lever action, I suggest you make sure it has a sling on it. Depending on where you hunt, it is not at all unusual that there will be times you need BOTH hands to help pull you up some steep, awkward country, etc.

One mountain lion guide I know, who's been in on countless m.l. kills, always carried a Ruger Single Six in .22 Mag. in a shoulder holster. I've seen him kill a large, treed mountain lion with it and the lion was dead when it hit the ground.

Another m.l./bear guide I know always carries an ancient Win. Trapper .30-30 with a sling. It works just fine for him. Of course, both these guides needed both hands free, to not only handle dogs, but to pull themselves up mountains and through brush, cross creeks, etc., while following the dogs.

I'm going mountain lion hunting after the first of the year, and will be carrying my Marlin 1894S .41 Mag.-- with sling. It'll do the job if I do mine.

Just my opinion. Best of luck.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a Lion hunt in CO, used a Marlin Lever action in 44mag. Shot the 300gr Hornady XTP. Short handy rifle, Leanwolf is definatly right about the sling. A fun hunt just be in shape.

Posts: 44 | Location: Texas | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 30-30 advocates winchester or marlin lever perfect and yes with a sling.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, since I don't own a 30-30 I'm thinking of buy a Encore 308 and downloading it. That way my wife or my dad could use it for deer hunting. The Encore is fairly light at 6 1/2 pounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried my old 30-30 on my hunt and it did a great job at about 40 feet.I carried the rifle in a saddle scabbard modified with shoulder straps like a backpack.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of yuccabush
posted Hide Post
A 41 levergun will do the trick.

Posts: 7 | Location: Albuquerque,NM | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Anything larger than a 22 rimfire will work, but I prefer something big and slow (a cast 357, 41 or 44) that won't tear the hide up. Also, a piece of electrical tape will come in handy to keep your muzzle clear

Pete.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote