THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Axis Deer Hunting with Mulie Mike and Video

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis Deer Hunting with Mulie Mike and Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://youtu.be/dkJJOqlhKUw

I wanted to give a short report on an axis deer hunt we did with Mike McKinny's (Mulie Mikes) outfit West Texas Hunt Org last month. My wife and I have been looking to do an axis deer hunt for a couple years now. We were considering a hunt in Hawaii and found the cost (including flights etc.) to be a little more than what we wanted to get into. I searched AR for ideas and saw Mulie Mike's name referred over and over so we booked with his outfit. Since we drive down to Dallas, TX from Vermont every year for the DSC show we figured a five hour jaunt westward wouldn't be a big deal once the show got out.

The hunt was a blast. Not the most difficult hunt by any stretch, but after spending 20+ days in the field in VT and NH this year and not seeing one shooter buck I was ready for an easier hunt. Not that these deer are easy to get to, on the contrary, they're quite skittish. But it was nice to see so many mature bucks in just a couple days of hunting. It was also nice to hunt in 60+ degree weather.

The guides were great and worked hard to find a nice buck. The one we ended up taking was a battle worn old buck that had several old scars as well as a fresh gash in his abdomen. Our guide thought he wouldn't have survived this recent wound, so it was good to put him out of his misery.

The video: It was our first go at making a hunting video so it's not perfect but it shows the area and animals well. Unfortunately everything happened so fast when we found and shot the buck that we didn't get him on film.

Posts: 594 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big congrats. Very worthy buck.
I've hunted Axis in Texas once, but unsuccessfully although I did take a nice Blackbuck. I want to get after Axis again one day.
And yes, agreed that Mulie Mike is tops to deal with. One of the best in my opinion.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MNR
Did you hunt the Diamond T ranch Sonora. WE hunted the ranch with Mike McKinney in 2018. We took two nice Axis bucks. He has a first class operation, good man to deal with

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Displaced Texan - That might be the same ranch. We arrived after midnight after the DSC show got out so I didn't even notice the ranch name. It was about 5 miles outside of the town of Sonora though.

I agree, first class operation and Mike is great to deal with.

Posts: 594 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good hunt and success.
Thanks for posting pictures with the rifles action open.
Hopefully it be a trend that will catch on.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you and your wife had a nice successful hunt.

My son and I hunted that ranch for Whitetail with Mike a couple of years ago and had a great time. We saw some big axis deer while we were there hunting.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We saw quite a few whitetail as well. It was neat to see so many deer of different species on one hunt.
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Good to hear you and your wife had a nice successful hunt.

My son and I hunted that ranch for Whitetail with Mike a couple of years ago and had a great time. We saw some big axis deer while we were there hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a pet peeve of mine as well.
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Congrats on a good hunt and success.
Thanks for posting pictures with the rifles action open.
Hopefully it be a trend that will catch on.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked to be a great mid-winter hunt and diversion. And a lot of tasty venison to boot...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A fine buck indeed. Thanks for putting up the Youtube.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous buck! This hunt, this animal, with this outfitter, is very high on my list.

I've been putting it on hold for some time now, but my wife is retiring in two months, so I think it's finally time to do it, and take my sweetheart along for a hunt/vacation.

Thank you for posting your hunt. Greatly appreciated!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote