New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hoping to draw an elk tag in Wyoming this year and if I do, will hunt with my Weatherby .300. I am working up some handloads now, advised that shots are frequently in the 250 to 400 yard range. I would like to use a 200 grain bullet. Couple of questions. Any have any actual experience that would indicate that a 200 grain bullet would be better than a 180 grain bullet? I would also be interested in any experience any of you has comparing a Barnes bullet with a Nosler Partition. Thanks.

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with a 180.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I recommend a 180. Barnes vs Partition? Well, you nor the elk would know any different, so shoot the one that does best with your load development.

My choices would be any of the following in no order:

180 Aframe
180 Scirocco
180 Nosler AB
180 Partition
180 TSX or TTSX
Northfork, if you can get them
185 Berger VLD

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd find an accurate (in your particular rifle) 180gr bullet and go hunting. i don't think you would gain much by using a 200gr, certainly not enough to warrant the switch. i prefer partitions, but the a-frame is also excellent.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
180gr Partition!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with what ever bullet provided the best accuracy in your rifle that is 165gr and above.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 200 partitions and the tsx barnes. I think either on is good. I am partial to the barnes cause I believe it lacks the bloodshot effect that the lead bullets give.

I dont think a 180 would be much different.

I think lots of practice will make more difference than which bullets is used.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 200 gr. Nosler Partion has been my go to elk bullet since I bought my first .300 Wby. 15 years ago. They are much more accurate than the 180's out of my current rifle that I am using.

I've never taken an elk with any 180 gr. .308 bullet but have been in on the killing of elk with those who have. Maybe I'm just seeing what my mind wants, to justify my using 200 grainers, but I think that they penetrate better. I've never recovered a 200 grain Partition from an elk. Dug a few 180 grainers out when helping friends field dress their elk. Both will kill elk dead... real dead!

I'd try 200 gr. Partions and a few flavors of 180's and see what shoots best at 200 and 300 yards.

Interestingly enough, the only bullet I've ever recovered from an elk was a 230 gr. .338 Fail safe. Imagine that...

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I use a 180 Scirocco in my 300 RUM.
I used to use 180 gr Partitions in my 300 WM, and was always never disappointed.
I would go with the advice already stated above,
try different bullets and weights and let the results speak for themselves.

Elk are tough animals, but all of the bullets recommended here will work great.

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're of a mind to experiment, the Hornady 190 BTSP interlock is also an excellent elk bullet. While I haven't loaded 300 Wby, I did get 3200 fps and 1" groups with that bullet in a 300 Dakota.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed elk at over 350 yards with a 300WBY and 180 Nosler Partitions and at over 350 yards with a 300 Win Mag and 200gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

I have also killed elk at @100 yards with both loads and both bullets. Did not seem to make much difference in performance.

The key is to FIND the elk, and then HIT them. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last two 6X6 bull elk I have shot with my 300 Weatherby died in their tracks, never took another step. Both were shot with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. That is the same bullet I intend to use this fall when I go hunt elk in New Mexico again.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a .300 Wby but used a .300 Winnie. The bullet I used was a 200gr Grand Slam. I think that or the 200gr NP or Woodleigh would be the ticket.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Whatever is accurate in your rifle... Hopefully one of the Barnes bullets or Partitions in 180 grain is accurate in your rifle thumb... As has been said before, 165 grains and up will do the job with the 300 Weatherby so whichever you find shoots well is the one to go with...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
My cousin knows a lady who said her brother's best friend's dad has killed a bunch of elk using nothing but some soft-point bullets he bought on eBay several years ago. My cousin didn't know the bullet weight, however.

So I'd suggest you head over to eBay and do a search for "soft-point elk bullets." If you can locate some like that, you're all set. They will likely work on other critters too.

If you can't locate any, just use a bullet that shoots well in your rifle and be done with it. More importantly, accurately place that bullet into an area that is vital to an elk sustaining life. Wink-TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swampcat,

Choose a premium 180 gr bullet, just in case You are presented with a 40 yd shot. Those 3000+ fps Wby velocities are tough on bullets.

I've used 180 NP's for years, killed a lot of elk, zero problems.

Find a load that makes You happy with velocity and accuracy, then PRACTICE from field positions. So many hunters OBSESS on accuracy and small groups, but don't know how to shoot unless they drag a bench rest along.

Also make sure YOU are in shape to walk the hills as well. I've seen several hunters who wasted a nice elk hunt opportunity as they were not up to the task.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:

Find a load that makes You happy with velocity and accuracy, then PRACTICE from field positions. So many hunters OBSESS on accuracy and small groups, but don't know how to shoot unless they drag a bench rest along.

FN in MT

SO well said thumb

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I use 180gr Accubonds in my 300M for big game in Alberta. You can try 200gr AB's or 180-200gr TSX also.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 180 Nosler partition and loved it, that is until I tried the 200 gr. Nosler partition...

My standard bullet in the 06 and the 300 H&H and at one time my 300 Wby was the Nosler partition and it is a great bullet..I would call it fail proof short of a bullet getting missed by quality control with a crack in the copper.

I have been using seconds ever since they started selling them and never had one fail.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote