New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 sufficient for antelopes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I could get 60 to 70 grainer soft points to shoot decently in my 22-250 would it work on antelope or would I be better off using my 300 win mag although it may be a bit over kill even at long ranges? Thanks

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22-250 will kill a antelope but one will really have to have good shot control and limits. I would take the 300wm and some good 150gr loads and not worry about.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might check regulations in the state(s) you want to hunt. In Wyoming, you must have at least .23 caliber - specifically prohibitting the .22s

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 55 gr. bullets in 22-250 for several antelope and deer. I prefer larger calibers.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, given proper bullets and good shot placement, a 22-250 would work. But there are so many better calibers out there -- your .300 included -- that makes one ask "why?"

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Need a 6mm in Colorado to hunt antelope. 22cal. isn't legal here.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have sinned. I have killed several with my 22-250. And I know many ranchers that use it exclusivly on goats..The best goat gun?? not hardly but if the bullet is placed right it works..I used 55gr VMAX..and they are really dead when they drop.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the 300Win.Mag., and leave the 22 centerfires at home. Yes, the 22-250 may kill an antelope, but in most cases I'm aware of it is not legal - too small a caliber. Also to be considered, the breezes can blow pretty strong out on the prairies when hunting goats, so here again your 30 caliber with the heavier bullets will work better.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I would take your .300 and load the 150 they will be superior at all ranges beyond 200 yards
the .22-250 is excellent at 300+ plus yards but they wont have a very humane punch for antelope at that range. The .25-06 would be a perfect choice.Up here in Idaho you could use any centerfire cartridge including the .25auto even for elk.But thank god people know better than to do it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you will be hunting in montana, they are legal and will work fine. if you do use it, i would suggest a premium bullet which will penetrate at anu range, and at least a 63 grains in weight. i would also suggest 250 yards as a maximum distance, considering what you will be asking the bullet to do.

as the others have said, a .30cal would oprobably be a better choice. i am no fan of mags, but at the distances you will prbably be shooting, and considering the wind, you might be better off. add in the legal factor for any state other than montana.......

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
use the big 30 cause most of the time in antelope country the wind is just howling

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 60 grain and up bullets available.,and antelope being no bigger than black tail deer here in Oregon, a 22/250 will take an antelope anyday. I think the average hunter would be better served with the 22.250 for antelope over the 300 Mag., based on being able to do better shot placement.

I have used the 70 grain Speer in a 223 and 22.250 and have taken a number of black tails with them here in Oregon and ever one was a one shot kill and dropped instantly.....

I have only ever taken one antelope in my life, but that was in Montana with a 40 grain Ballistic Tip out of a 223. We wanted to see if the combo would drop the antelope. My buddy was standing ready with a 7 MaG in case it didn't. The 7 Mag wasn't needed. Antelope was shot at a dead run and made it about 25 yds, before dropping down dead. Distance was about 250 yds.

cheers and good luck,
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well SuperMag, sounds like a perfect opportunity to buy a new bang stick! Since your .22-250 is a little under-kill and the .300 WM is a little over-kill, tell the wife you need a new gun and go pick youself up something in the 6mm to 7mm range. 243, 25-06, 270, 7mm-08 will all be perfect for antelope

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was planning on using the 300 as I may be hunting mule deer at the same time too as well. My next gun will be a 25-06 which would be perfect for that but I just can't afford it right now, just bought that 22-250 couple months ago and it wasn't cheap. It's on my next to buy list though.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Definetly use the .300mag, you don't want to have to pass a shot because of various unknown conditions. The .22-250 gives you no room for error.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Drive around eastern Montana and pull up to nearly any ranch house... you'll typically see an eye-popping mulie on the wall. You'll invariably ask, "whatdya shoot it with"... the answer will usually be "22-250."

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That may be true Brad, but I wouldn't want to bet my hunt on that. Yeah, yeah, you can kill anything w/ a .22lr, and I can pound nails w/ a rock, doesn't make it the best tool for the job. nut I'ld rather be overgunned than under gunned. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guys got to shoot what a guys got to shoot.

Ya the 300 will probably flip the antelope over and gut it out all in one shot, or blaze/jelly so much meat you'll just be head hunting but then there's not much meat on an antelope anyway.

If it's a hunt of a life time--take the 300
If you can go out everyday of the season--the 22-250 with a good solid slug could be fun to stalk an eagle eyed antelope.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
There's not an antelope alive that a 55 gr (Barnes X, Partition, whatever) won't dispatch with authority... they're about as big as a small german shpepherd...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to "guide" kids antelope hunting, and i remember this 1 kid that developed a heckuva flinch trying to sight in his dads 270. Then i handed him my 22-250 AI with the 60 gr. Nosler Ptn. and he kept 'em all within an inch at 100. Used that rig for about 10 antelope does over the years, and had 100% 1 shot kills to 300 yds, never a lick of a problem. I like to watch kids shoot big game with a gun they're almost guaranteed not to flinch with-- what a confidence builder.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My wife shoots them with my PPC. No problems. Not ideal in the wind, but she likes the accuracy. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullet type is critical. 60 gr. Partitions would be OK. Fired out of a 223 at 2800 they will drop antelope or whitetail does nearly instantly with side-on lung shots.

On the down side, I've watched a couple of guys with 22-250's shoot antelope with other types of projectiles, varmint bullets, or heavy conventional tpes, that didn't get the job done. Very messy, they ended up borrowing my 270 to clean up. I hope you will use the 300, it'll work out much better for you and frankly for the antelope as well. I've tried a few ways to kill an antelope and a 270 works best for me. I do have a bug to wack one with a 44 though....

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote