THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: When Africa is not in the cards, S. Texas is O

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: When Africa is not in the cards, S. Texas is O
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not totally "unafrican". I've had African animals hung "traditionally" in at least two different places in Africa. Depends a bit on the camp setup and the distance between kill site and skinning shed, and also whether or not they can get the wagon to the animal.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I know there are those who do not feel that hunting fenced ranches is fair chase. I doubt, however, that this eland felt too confined on the 11,000 acre ranch surrounded by the 5' fence that he called home.

The first shot w/.375 h&h using 300 gr. A-frame did the job, hit top of heart and all connecting arteries. The second shot caught him in left rib cage as he ran away @ 200 yds. Recovered that bullet which retained 96% original weight (289 grains); first shot was complete passthrough.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?id=4176770449&url=http%3A//www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p5ec3b4ae2e49f3d0eeb1bfe174b2f5b5/f8f47591.jpg&caption=100_1017_0001&album_id=4287112241&from_album=1

Can't wait to light the mesquite fire!

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Eland!

One good thing about hunting them in Texas is that you can keep the meat!

What was the ranch? Do they have a web site?

Now it's time for you to have some good eating!!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Texas is always a great hunting destination in my book. I love the Lone Star State!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen
I love Texas hunting too. I just wish I could get the word out about the great "real" hunting opportunities there. My friends all are brainwashed from watching tv and think shooting a deer at a feeder with an ultrtamag is Texas hunting. I suspect a lot of people think this as well.
Mikw

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mike,

You and I and a host of other gentlemen here know better!

AD

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just wish I could get the word out about the great "real" hunting opportunities there.

Mikw: Shhhhhhhhhhh . Maybe we should just keep the secret to ourselves????

Bob: You have PM.

Regards,
hm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the eland.....how is life at Camp Cooley these days?

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mikw: Shhhhhhhhhhh . Maybe we should just keep the secret to ourselves????

Regards,
hm

I second that I live here and it's difficult to finance all the varied hunting this state offers. OF course the break on resident vs non resident license is great and I can drive were most must fly to be practical.

Funny, this is the first picture I've seen of an african game animal hung on th hooks. While it seems perfectly normal for the typical whitetail it appears strangly odd for an eland.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Hi Erik:
This hunt was on the Punta del Monte Ranch north of Raymondville which is real close to home. When I asked you about Camp Cooley, I thought I might meet my son in Houston for a hunt there.

Dsmith:
Quote:

Funny, this is the first picture I've seen of an african game animal hung on th hooks. While it seems perfectly normal for the typical whitetail it appears strangly odd for an eland.

There is probably a reason for that. I made the mistake of picking up a couple of hooks made from 3/8" re-bar instead of some of the hardened hooks and one straightened out, managing to drop the animal in the process.....bummer! The re-bar hooks are OK for the lighter Nilgai, Oryx, etc. but obviously too light for the eland. This ranch is set up to handle the larger animals w/winches, etc. so it is easier to get them in the cooler hanging from gambrel as they have an overhead rail w/chain fall to roll them in on.

Regards,
hm

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
hardware issue aside ( and thanks for the explanation ) any african species would look odd hanging inverted imo. Just doesn't seem "african" Where as it's just accepted that that is the american way of taking care of a game animal. Maybe it's just me.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HM1996 I have stood by that same fence and hung eland, nilgai, and pigs . Nice hunt. How is Fred? I will hunt there again if the water doesn't rise too high. D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Fred is doing fine. A lot of fun to hunt with.

As for the water, there is lots of that this year. Had been a couple of years since I had been on the ranch and it was bone dry then. I would guess that 20% of the leased pastures are under water this year. Heavier brush and limited access to many areas makes for a little harder hunting.

Regards,
hm