Notify
Tools

Do you carry a pocket knife?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paleohunter:
Just museing how many people still carry a pocket knife on their person?

Always. I'll start taking non-essential airplane trips again when they put the rules back like they were.

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have a buck 112C , The blade was just small enough that I could have it in the fed courthouse building. Actually in Florida I had to leave at the door to the courthouse there.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DagoRed:

That story might be unusual for city folks in California, but in Texas that is fairly common behavior, your Uncle was right, the supplied steak knives usually won't cut butter. If I wanted to saw my meat in half, I'd bring a Stihl. [Big Grin]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This California country boy has always carried a pocket knife and always will. I think most guys didn't get the habit when schools made the kids leave their knives at home. Back in the early 1960's you could carry a pocket knife to school. In fact I customized two rifles as shop projects when I went to high school. Got solid A's on both of them and in fact still have both of them. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a victorinox hunter that one of my girls gave me. It amazes everybody-I can tighten a screw, cut, saw a small tree, and open a bottle of wine.(that feature has come in handy at family gatherings, when somebody brought a bottle, but no corkscrew.) the tweezers are very good, also.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Pre64>
posted
A Victorinox Classic is on my key chain. Black with the GE Capital (aka the Evil Empire) logo.

I like it because its connected to something I'm less likely to misplace. The toothpick is long gone.

I lost a square-ended Case folder with a jigged bone handle a few years ago and was sick about for a week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does a Leatherman count as a pocket knife?

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old habits die hard I carry 2, one swiss army tinker model, comes in handy for doing small repairs on the troopshandguns when I'm running the streets and a folding cold steel tanto

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Just came out of the Sawtooths, had spent a month there, and had to fly to Fort Smith, Ark. (A woman thing, but she was worth the effort) They let me through after checking into my sealed baggage, a Sharpfinger, a drop point Sharpfinger, two Littlefingers (loved that little knife, wish they still made it), a Wyoming skinner, two 5 shot 22's, and three pocket folders. The Sharpfinger was covered with blood and gore, I had forgot to clean it, freaked out the Airline folks at first. Today I think they would just divert me to Gitmo. I only carry a good buck folder now, on my person, at least.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I've always used to carry my CRKT M16 with a 3.94 inch blade. I stopped carrying it since I got worried that if they found it on me in the college that I go to, I'd be in deep trouble... [Frown]

Wish I could carry my 16.5 inch khukuri around though... [Big Grin]

[ 07-19-2003, 10:18: Message edited by: The LSG ]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Cool] Been carrying a pocketknife with me for most of my life I guess. Been in the oilfield for the last thirty years and mine scrapes wires and cuts primacord on a daily basis and it slices up apples, pears and peaches preety often too. [Razz]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my mother said, "Never trust a man who doesn't carry a pocketknife." That's all the excuse I ever needed. I carry a single-blade tactical folder, a Benchmade 750, and use it for everything. When I was in Special Forces, almost everyone in my company had a Swiss Army knife. I also kept a K-Bar on my web gear. If I couldn't cut it with one of them, it was time for a block of C-4. Okie John.

<Fuzz>
posted
I've carried a pocket knife from when I was 5 till the present. I just hate it when I have to travel by plane. Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went thru school in the 80's and 90's in ny and carried a knife.Once after a christmas break I put on my sheath knife, and did not notice until 4th or 5th period.Stuck it in my locker.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Paleohunter,

I grew up at a time when everyone carried a pocket knife. It was just considered a tool. I still carry the stockman model made by Buck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been carryin an knife as long as I can remember... carried Case pocket knives when I was younger..from Childress Hardware in Lubbock... practiced sharpening them so often, I wore the blades down in pretty short order.
Now I usually have at least three with me... my MooreMaker trapper style pocket knife, my ColdSteel medium voyager, tanto, non-serrated, and my Leatherman Micra... also various others that get to go with me at odd times.
I can't imagine having to do without a good knife...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a pocketknife in my pocket every day for 30+ years. I definitely feel naked without one. I usually prefer some version of a medium stockman, like the Case stag I have today, and although stainless blades are trouble-free, I prefer the ones I've found with chrome-vanadium steel. You can get those REAL sharp. I've also enjoyed Bokers, when I could find a good one.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been carrying a pocket knife since 1960, as of late I been carrying a Puma Stock. Three blades holds a good edge. Of course there is the Leatherman tool. I would not get into an airplane or helicopter with out one. For a Bush pilot, the Leatherman is a must have.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What a fine subject. For me, pocket knives have come and gone. And then one day my dad handed my a pocket knife. It was the BSA pocket knife that used to belong to my Grandpa.
My dad said, "He has had this damn thing for as long as I can remember". It is still in fine condition, I just sharpened it two days ago. Big blade, can opener, bottle opener, leather punch, screw drivers. I use it all the time and intend to pass it on. Pocket knives and campfires, among the best things in life.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I,myself,am an'oldtimer',and have carried a Schrade'oldtimer',or similar folding knife,in my pocket for over 50 years. I don't carry when I go to the airport,but I did forget,and carry it into a courthouse,last year.It was no big deal,at all.I just declared it,handed it over to the Clerk,and got it back on the way out.
I think that people are being intimidated to think that carrying a small knife is somehow akin to carrying a Bolo knife.
The ones who are really hurt,are youngsters,who are not allowed to have any kind of knife in school.
I'm talking about pocket knives;not knives with 5 inch blades.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I keep a Victorinox "Midnight Manager" on my keychain. It has all sorts of stuff that really works- LED light, a pen, a tiny phillips screwdriver, the usual scissors and nail file/screwdriver tip AND A BOTTLE OPENER!

I was hoping to get something with tweezers instead of the pen, but I bet I use that pen 50 times for every time I would use the tweezers.

I really like this knife, I'm on my second one now.

For other stuff I've been carrying a cheapie lockback folder with a belt clip, I really like the clip as it saves my pockets and also I can wear shorts without pockets too. I don't like serrated blades but for cutting brush or packaging they do work good.

I also have a gerber multi tool that I carry on occasion when I might need to do some fixin' somewhere.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck no. That way I can't cut my trigger finger.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic. I figured I was one of the few left. Always carry my Buck cross action, with the pocket clip, in my back pocket.

[ 07-21-2003, 16:02: Message edited by: Will ]

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wearing light slacks at work, I don't much like heavy stuff in my pockets - VictorInox Bijou or Classic. Whenever I dress normally (jeans), I also have at least a Tinker or a corkscrew-bearing VictorInox, occasionally something with a larger blade like a Spyderco or an older Case or any one of the MANY dozens of pocket knives I've gotten over the years.

I don't go to airports, and I generally avoid courthouses.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At work I always have a Spyderco Jester in my pocket - every where else a Spyderco Military

Posts: 4 | Location: Stafford, VA USA | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
"you have a knife on you?"

"Is it legal?"

I always have my victorinox 'camping', and just like arty, people are always surprised.

As soon as I help them out of trouble (either by cutting that annoying little thread from a sleeve, remove a 2" diameter branch from their front garden, opening a can when no can-openers are around, etc) they all respond in the same way:

"that little swiss is pretty useful!!"

DUH!!?! [Smile]

Posts: 91 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I keep a small Victorinox on my keychain as well as a Photon microlight. Amazing how much I use them both. I can't imagine not having a knife on me at all times

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, except when actually out hunting. Although I have at least one in every room of the house, in every farm tractor toolbox, every vehicle's glove box, motorcycle saddle bag, the barn, the maintenance shop, the machinery shed, tackle box, blackpowder possibles bag, and of course the butcher shop. I'm practically knee-deep in knives thanks to Smokey Mountain Knife Works sending me one of their catalogs a few years back!!!

So even though I don't carry, I'm usually not very far from some manner of knife.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep I always have one with me.And when hunting I carry a hunting knife also.You never know when a knife will come in handy. [Wink]

Posts: 46 | Location: Portland,In. | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always carry my gerber gator, now that I'm out of school I'm never seen without it.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always, except when I am sleeping or forced to fly. There are just so many times that a small sharp folder is needed. Keep it like a razor, keep it clean and never let anyone borrow it, they will probably just cut themselves. The folder came in real handy one day bow hunting, I lost my regular knife tracking out a deer, all I had left was my Buck Prince and it did the job [Big Grin]

Posts: 61 | Location: Stockholm, N.J., USA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Grandpa caught you out without a knife, he'd make you walk back to the house and get it.

Gerber multi-tool on my belt, Gerber in my pocket,Gerber in my briefcase and when I'm on a project site, another in my pocket.

As far as air travel, I won't fly in- country anymore, the security measures are a joke.

I want to fly when they issue all passengers a 6" dagger, hi-jack this!

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Not only carry a small Gerber folder (2.5" blade), but have those neat little Sabretools on each of my key rings. Pliers, screwdrivers, and a knife blade...excellent. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Every morning before I leave for the office, I check my back pocket for my wallet, my front right pocket for my office keys, and my left front pocket for my money clip and my pocket knife that I have carried since I was a kid. It becomes appart of you like your wallet. The only time I don't carry it is on a plane.

nicktr

Posts: 9 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
<PWN>
posted
Everyday and every place I go except on airplanes I have my small Swiss Army knife. When not in court I carry a Benchmade Mel Pardue and as well.

Perry

posted Hide Post
Hello Paleo...

Sure do Buck "Stockmen" since 1977, before that a Case trapper that my Grandfather gave me in 1969, before that was my first knife I bought in 1960, a Barlow.

All The Best
Steel

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote