THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My wife's E TX public Land buck . . . with her 375 Ruger

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife's E TX public Land buck . . . with her 375 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted
As we are saving for Africa again, we decided not to get a deer lease but to instead hunt public land in East Texas. We tried a new area this year, and have been rewarded with numerous deer sightings every time out. We've also been trying to get our daughter her first buck (both hunting near the house and in East Texas). Sunday morning after Thanksgiving, my wife & daughter were sitting together when 2 eight point bucks showed themselves well back in some dense cover. My daughter couldn't get on them and my wife decided to take a shot with her .375 Ruger (300 grain hornady factory loads). The buck was strongly quartering and the bullet entered in the right flank and exited the left shoulder. She only got one lung and the only bones shattered were ribs, as the exit missed the front shoulder bones. The buck ran off about 75 or 80 yards before falling into the creek. Initially, my wife couldn't find the blood trail and went to get our dog. I would have found the blood trail shortly, but having the dog sure made things easier as she found the trail almost immediately and led us right to him.

Interestingly, the buck had a large scarred over wound on his left hindquarter - apparently, someone had shot him the year before. The wound was about 3-4" deep in the ham but grown over with scarred skin and no hair.

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic. I'll bet she's happy as can be. I'm impressed!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Troy, a handsome critter for the Ruger to take to task!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a GREAT buck for East Texas public land! Congrats are certainly in order! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice deer Troy.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Very nice public land buck!

Be careful advertising that you used a dog to find the deer. It is VERY illegal in most east Texas counties (which I completely disagree with), but it is the law.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote