THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Does anyone use Barnes TSX bullets on whitetails?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use Barnes TSX bullets on whitetails?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted
I'm going to get into reloading pretty soon and wanted to know what Barnes Triple Shock bullets did to deer (one shot and drop, size of exit wound, etc...)? I'll be loading the Barnes bullets for a 270 WSM.

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yes, I use them. My brother uses them, and you should see quite a few others reply that use them.

While most premium bullets will kill quickly, I liked the ease of load development offered by the TSX. Here's a few pics of animals that fell to the tsx, myself, friends, and brother, [or a Barnes ML bullet} (antelope):

I've killed quite a few other deer in KY, MO, and KS with the TSX, some mulies in CO, WY, all with TSX of various calibers.

It is a very good choice for hunting. Entrance holes are typically caliber size, and exit holes have been from nickel size to golf ball, but all bled just fine.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Last fall, 04, I killed several animals with the TSX, in my 300win. This year I used Accubonds. They worked great too. I think I may go back to the TSX, I just like them, both shoot the same in my rifle.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
My only concern with the Barnes is the fact that it does pass through at such a rapid rate. I like to shoot deer behind the shoulder. I would prefer a bullet to expand quickly without having to hit bone first.

It seems to me that the Barnes would be fine on elk and other larger animals, but would lack the expansion on a thin skinned animal like deer. Am I wrong in saying that?

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I used them on two deer in November. I like the way that they do not cause bloodshot meat.

I hit bone on both deer and had to pick out the pieces but did not cut out much for bloodshot.

These were 200 TSX in a 300 win mag. 2900 F.P.S. Sitka blacktails.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Yeah, TSX’s would work on whitetails….sort of….. (at least I think they do………)
As you can see, I must agree with Doc...

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arkapigdiesel:
It seems to me that the Barnes would be fine on elk and other larger animals, but would lack the expansion on a thin skinned animal like deer. Am I wrong in saying that?

Yes. The new Barnes bullets open up on rabbits. They redesigned the hollow point. A neurosurgeon that my brother works with uses the TSX and ONLY shoots for lungs. He hasn't lost an animal yet. In fact, he said that these bullets seem to "hit harder" and drop them very quickly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ARK I used the .277 cal 130 gr TSX in a 270 WBY this fall to take a large Saskatchewan whitetail buck.He was standing,quartering towards me @ approx 300 yds. The bullet entered the front of his chest through lungs and caught the front shoulder on the off side. The bullet was found just under the hide behind the front shoulder. It had picture perfect expansion and the recovered bullet weighed 128 1/2 grs. The buck attempted to turn ,made a couple jumps and pilled up. I was quite please to finally recover a TSX bullet. I have used them on several other hunts and they have always exited. The result is always the same... a couple jumps and they pile up.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I use any longer are the TSX. Incredibly accurate in my rifle and kill everytime.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, took 4 last year using 180gr TSXs and a 300wsm!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 100grn TSX/25-06 load to take 14 whitetails last year on a crop damage deal here. My experience is the bullet is a little tough for whitetails unless you take a shoulder. I had a few run off a considerable distance with lungs poked. They are very accurate/flat in my rifle at 3400fps and deer drop when you knock a shoulder. Plus, as mentioned, they don't tear up the meat. I would switch to a "non premium" bullet for whitetails if the TSX wasn't so accurate.
Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use them on <100 Lb antelope. Three so far all one shot kills, caliber holes going in, 1" -1.25" holes coming out and lots of internal damage, so far. Like above, the bullet choice was actually because the TSX were the most accurate in that gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ARK

Just shoot them in the shoulder with the TSX, they'll drop. I use them in a .257 Weatherby and have shot some way out yonder with it. I also use them in a 7x57, works as well.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I like the TSX 168 gr. match bullet for my 300 wby handloads for hunting Coues Whitetail deer in AZ.

My Weatherby Vangard seems to love them!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only concern with the Barnes is the fact that it does pass through at such a rapid rate. I like to shoot deer behind the shoulder. I would prefer a bullet to expand quickly without having to hit bone first.

You are wrong.
I got 6 deer this season and it was my first with the TSX. I used the 140 TSX in my 7m08 and on the lung shots you will get at least a one inch hole on the exit. They expand rapidly and at the speed of the 270WSM you will be amazed and pleased at how well they perform. If you go back through some of the old post you will see many testimonials on the TSX from varmints to Cape Buffalo.
It performs so well you typically use a lighter bullet than you may think. For the 270WSM the 130TSX will be awesome.
Using TSX's also makes smaller calibers a lot more effective.
Start with H4350EXT or Reloader 19 and follow the Barnes instructions about not getting too close to the lands like you would with other bullets.

Have fun next season.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I shoot 160 TSX in my 7 MM Rem Mag (took a nice deer in Maine with it), shoot 350 TSX's in my 416 Rigby and destroyed a brown bear with one shot in September, am likely going to shoot 225 TSX in my newly acquired 338 Win Mag.

I recovered the bullet out of my Maine deer and had 87.5% weight retention (140 grains out of 160 grains, which was less than I expected, but the bullet did an awesome job (one shot @ 40 yards)on the deer and expanded almost like a perfect mushroom.

I am very happy with the way they shoot out of my 7 MM and 416 and hope they shoot as good out of my 338 Win Mag.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies fellas. As soon as I buy my reloading equipment and read my reloading books I'm going to work up some loads with the Barnes bullets probably in the 130 weight range for my 270 WSM mgun

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You won't regret it.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I shot two little Alabama whitetails last November with a 300 mag with 168g TSXs. Two shots bang/flop. Both at around 100 yards. I like em.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:

Yes. The new Barnes bullets open up on rabbits. They redesigned the hollow point. A neurosurgeon that my brother works with uses the TSX and ONLY shoots for lungs. He hasn't lost an animal yet. In fact, he said that these bullets seem to "hit harder" and drop them very quickly.

I agree completely. I shot some scrub hares i Africa for the farmer and they definately opened up!!! That was the 168gr TSX our of my 308win. I've also shot foxes here in the UK with them that have also shown definate signs of expansion.... Wink

Saying that, there is still virtually no bloodshot meat on animals I 've shhot with them.

Rgds

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot two deer during the 05 regular firearms season at 145 & 155 yards using a 300 Win Mag and 150 gr TSX both were shot behind the shoulder. Both were bang flops, both had a 30cal hole going in and a fist size hole exiting. I was pleased because I didn’t have to track the deer. There was not any excessive blood shot meat.

I might say that proper bullet placement and knowledge of the deer’s anatomy is important.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
I use the 110 gr .277 TSX in my 6.8 spc. Worked just fine on whitetails this year. 2600 FPS...1.5"-2" exits.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yep, that 110 TSX really changed my whole aspect of thinking on what is needed to put down a whitetail. That is THE bullet of choice for my brother in his 270 Win. Up at the top of the thread, you'll see him with his antelope he dumped with the same load, and in fact, that whitetail in the bed of his truck fell to the same bullet. These bullets blow right through bone in case you hit it (even if that is not the intention). Plus, they open just fine on soft tissue. I've seen that first hand on several deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Son-in-law shot 2 whitetail does this winter with the 85 gr. TSX in his .243. One was average size, the other a bit smaller. Biggest one was hit a bit far back, but still went only 30 yards or so. I got a coyote with my .243 and the same bullet. Broadside hit, he fell over backwards into a wash and thats where I found him. I'd say they will expand.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote