New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Carolina?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody living in western South Carolina. What's hunting like. What species? What's the limit on deer? I am relocating to Greenville area. Curious?

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

A buddy relocated there a few years ago from New England and I visted him and shot there.

There are some free public ranges in SC and one in driving distance from Greenville. All you have to do is sign up the sheet and find a spot to shoot. They have 100 yds rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery there.

I expected to see Savage 340's on the line and I was taken aback by two guys loading at the bench with Wilson in line tools and one of the guys had all the bench gear like sleeved actions etc.

The hunting my buddy does seems to be on a private club where he is a guest. This differs a lot from here where you just find a place with no posted sign and go at it or get permission.

He says that there seems to be almost no limits on the number of deer and the season starts early and ends late. On the other hand he only got one in three years and I don't tease him too bad. clap

I am staying here as thats where my family is. I also prefer the cool air. On the other hand the people are really polite in that area.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Welcome to the forums. I live in Georgia, but can tell you there is good hunting in South Carolina. Deer are plentiful with a liberal limit. Do not know for certain, but when I say liberal, it will be shocking for an AZ guy! GA has 2 bucks and 10 does on ticket right now. SC has plentiful turkey, ducks (Savannah River)on the GA / SC state line (Woodies, a few mallards, teal), quail, good black bear hunting just west of Greenville in the mountatins, not certain about wild pigs in SC, but GA is absoultely covered up in them, so SC would have to have some. The best hunting for deer will probably be directly south of Greenville around Anderson, Aiken and Augusta. Greenville is a nice town and very scenic. Enjoy.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I am from that area but now live in Detroit. As others have said there is good deer, some hogs, quail, waterfowl in that area. There are some very good gun clubs. I have been many times to Greenville Gun Club and Spartanburg Gun Club. Both have skeet, trap, sporting clays. As well Greenville has rifle, pistol and sponsor quite a few ISPC matches. If you want to PM me I can give you numbers of some very good preserves, etc. and people that are now wired into that area.

Good luck and you will like Greenville.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,
Whatcha got against 340's? I resemble that remark. Actually, the only reason I have one is because it was only $60 and it makes a good truck gun. If it gets stolen or just in general "screwed", I'm not out but $60.

Hugh,
Where from in GA.? It's funny you reply. I am by know definition an AZ boy. I was out here working 3 years ago and met a nice young school teacher. I moved from Macon, Ga.. Lived there for 13 years prior. I would relocate back to GA., but the ex-wife lives there and there needs to be considerable milage between us. But, my son lives there also so I need to be within 1/2 day or less from him. We looked into Rome, GA.(as the schoolteacher has roots there), but there is very little industry there for me to find work. You know, other than a few carpet mills, there ain't much. So we figured South Carolina would be a good compromise. They don't have a helmet law there either, so I can ride the Harley my way. I like the GA/SC line area (I-85 corridor). I used to camp up at Three Forks. And Lake Hartwell is awesome!!But not enough industry there,,,,,gotta work.

BigBBear,
PM sent.

Thanks for the reply guys.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:
...Whatcha got against 340's?...
Hey Jason, It is because he has THOUSANDS of dollars invested in other rifles that won't shoot as well as the 340s. Big Grin

quote:
I can ride the Harley my way...
You sure can along with a lot of other folks. It would be a good idea to leave the Harley at home when you go looking for land to hunt on though.

I'm in KY right now, or I would send you a copy of the SC Rules & Regs Book. The State is broken into a few Game Zones and the terms of engagement with the Game varies a bit within those Zones. Also when the Seasons begin and end as well as the Limits.

Getting into a Hunt Club seems to work best if you have already made friends with someone who is in one. You can just randomly join a Club and find out during the Season they may not hunt the way you prefer.

Some Clubs cater to Dog Hunts which can be a lot of fun. They normally split the meat up amongst all the people participating in the Drives, but each Club is a bit different.

Some offer Stand Hunting, Still Hunting, Man Drives, Dog Hunting or combinations of each.

You can spend any amount of money you desire on the various Hunt Clubs. Some offer overnight bunks, skinning sheds and coolers. Finding the "best" Hunt Club for yourself is something not to be taken lightly.

And there is also a good bit of "Game Management Land" that anyone can hunt. You just need to buy the Permit for it.

Excellent map in the latest NRA American Hunter showing where the highest concentration of Trophy Deer are located throughout the State.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTT

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/index.html

Click on the green tab with "Regulations" on the upper portion of the site. Lots of info about hunting/fishing in SC on the site anyway.

You are either in Game Zone 1 or 2 depending on where you will be in Greenville County.
For private land, Game zone 1 is two deer per day, seven total and for Game zone 2 is two deer per day, ten total. Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have different limits.

I won't be suprised, if you do your homework, that you will have a few deer on the ground by each year in the Piedmont (Mountain) area. If you travel quite often to the Lowcountry (Extreme southern portion of SC) to hunt, have some connections there, join a hunting club (a lot clubs run dogs for deer), or whatnot, you shouldn't have problems harvesting deer in double digit numbers in a season (August 15th - Jan. 1st). There is no limit on bucks in the Lowcountry.

Good luck...

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Expect to shell out some cash for a decent place to hunt near Greenville. There is some quality public land but it gets pretty crowded at times. Clemson isn't too far away so you may have to compete with college hunters on public land.

Look around Anderson or south of Greenville for a private place to hunt nearby.

I prefer hunting in the Lowcountry but not all Lowcountry leases are equal. In fact some are plain awful. So do plenty of homework.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote