Bear Hunt 2003
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 115 | Location: mid west | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spencer516:
[QB]Took This Black Bear in Ontario, Last Five minutes of hunting. What a rush!

Nice Animal [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice size on him. How about a story? And what are you shooting there?

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After sitting on the bait for five days of unusally hot Ontario weather, it finally rains the last day of the hunt. Fifteen minutes before dark, I heard a grunt to my left. I glanced to my left and saw a large black object moving silently down the trail. The trail "Y"ed, one to my stand . The other to bait. The bear came straight to my stand and stood for a minute. Almost took him there but thought he might take out my stand. He finally went to the bait. Unfortunately, he sat behind a blown down pine to eat the bait. I slowly stood up and found a small shooting lane. I fired and the bear leaped forward. I continued to fire until my rifle, A marlin 1895G, in 45-70, ran dry. The bear was laying on his side. As I reloaded, I heard the bear make grunting sound. (Nobody had told me about the "Death Rattle") I shot him four more times to anchor him. I left my stand and slowly approached the bear. I nudged his nose and got no response. After tagging him I couldn't sign my name to the tag, as my hands were shaking badly. It took Four of us to drag him out of the woods and load him into the truck. The scale at camp only went to 440 pounds. I'll never know just how much he weighed.
I was shotting my own relaods. 300 Grain Hornady in front of 45.5 Grains of IMR 4198. Only shoots about 1900 FPS, but it hits where I put it. Rifle had a AO scout mount, with a Leupold scout scope.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Nice bear. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story and a fine looking bear. Congratulations. What outfitter did you hunt with?

Posts: 54 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sturgeon River Outfitters, out of Jellicoe, Ontario. Walt and Mary Fleming. Website:

http://www.theblackbearexpert.com/index.html

Not much for accomadations, but great bear hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer, well done on an excellent bear. I know what you mean about getting the shakes after shooting a bear. That happened to me after shooting my second bear. My first shot dropped him on the spot. Range was 150 yards and the 140 grain Barnes XBT from my 7mm Rem Mag punched clear through his chest and broke his off side shoulder as he quartered away from me. When I got up to him he turned his head and looked at me with his beady eyes so I gave him another one through the shoulders and chest from 5 feet. Then I got the shakes. He weighed about 375 (based on his length and girth) and squared 6.5'. Bears are an awesome animal and I love to hunt them. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote