THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    nosler penetration 200 v.s. 220 partition

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

nosler penetration 200 v.s. 220 partition
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Which one penetrates more?

I would guess that the 200 does because of the spitzer shape. But like I said just a guess.

Any shared observations appreciated and thanks in advance.

I know the 200 penetrates extremely well .

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Miller:

I don't think one will actually perform in the REAL WORLD any better than the other.

However, that being said, I do have a preference myself for the 220 grainer. My favorite bullet shape is the Semi Spitzer, combining the best of a RN in one game performance, but in heavy bullets like this, adding the longer range of a Spitzer.

I also have a soft spot for 220 grain 30 caliber bullets period.
Of all the performance I have seen them do on game, regardless of muzzle velocity, I swear by them.

My three favorite partitions that I have shot, are the 220 grain SSP in 30 Caliber, for a 270 My choice is the 160 gr SSP and in 6.5mm, the little 105 grain SSP that is made for some European company by Nosler for the Euro Market.
However, I have been able to purchase them in factory seconds at the Shooters Den in their plant here in Oregon.
I sure wish they would make the 105 grain SSP a factory catalog item here Stateside.

ON game the 220 does what the 200 grainer does, just a little bit better, and opens up better at lower velocities if that is a consideration. At lower velocity the 220 grain will penetrate a lot more than the 200 grain will, based on shape moreso than sheer bullet weight.

Good luck with either one you shoot. IN ALASKA that is alot more important for you folks than we urbanites in the lower 48. We don't have to worry about our quarry eating us if we screw up down here.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller, I would have to agree on Seafire for the most part.

However... I am glad you are compairing noslers as most 220s are not worth much in the line of penetration. My experiance is with sierra, hornaday, and Wdly. They share the following in common... they all penetrate less than 165grain partitions from a 30-06 at most hunting ranges. They do produce a large wound channel (thats a plus). Out of the 3 of the common 220s I would pick the Hornaday IF I was looking for penetration from the common ones. I do not pick the hornaday because I like the WDLY better, it cuts a mean swath. I am not ripping on the 220s by any means, I am a round nose kinda guy and with out a doubt all 3 of the common ones have enough for an elk.
Just my experiance.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all practicality the 220 nosler-partition should penetrate slightly better than the 200 grain n-p(using same caliber) because in the nos-partition the front core doesn't account for aiding penetration as it basically blows off at impact. Penetration in the nos-partition depends on "lenglth of bullet shank/sectional density of the rear core" in combination with velocity. The 220 grainer's rear core have a better SD than the 200 grainers. The greater the remaining SD the better the terminal penetration should be expected. Granted the 200 grainer will be going a bit faster. Since the point of the spitzer bullet will deform immediately upon impact, it's only advantage is to get the bullet to the target with a higher velocity because of a better balistic-coefficient. It may be a toss-up.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
See I was thinking the 220 would penetrate less because the larger exposed lead tip would mushroom sooner than a spitzer. This would pretty much put the brakes on for penetration. Although it should make a better wound channel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RMILLER Is this an academic question or are you interested in which 30 cal will penetrate the furthest? I suggest you try the 30 cal 200 gr Swift A-frame. With weight retention at 95% or better it will out penetrate the Nosler 200 gr.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want maximum penetration you could go with the 180gr failsafe.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Yes it is an academic question. I am wondering which of these two bullets will penetrate more.

If they both are very close I would go with the 220 because the larger nose should open up quicker.

Mostly it is just something I have been thinking about.

I plan on giving groove bullets a try. And I have cabin fever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller
I am a big fan of Nosler Partitions. In the proper caliber and weight they are never a bad choice.... However check out North Forks website. Look at the pictures of their bullets that have been recovered from game, and compare them with the ones from their test media. They look pretty good to me. I spoke with them at length at the Dallas Safari show, they are nice people.
And I must add that the Swift Bullet folks are nice people too.
This is the best time in the History of Man for quality bullets.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I think that 400 grain Northfork would go nice in my .458 win mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would make the 458 one super Big Bear, Lion, Moose, Elk etc rifle for sure.
And with the 450gr. North Fork, Swift A-Frame and Barnes Solids who needs that puny 416 Bore anyway???

HEAT UP THE TAR AND PLUCK THE CHICKENS!!!
But before all you 416 fans have a WALLEYED FIT remember that the 450/400's are one of my favorite calibers, it is just that I think that there are no flies on the 458 Properly loaded.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote