New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which chambering for a carry rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently have a LA Rem 700 ADL action and McMillan Mountain Rifle KS stock but can't decide on what chambering to go with. I was originally thinking 25-06 but I have a BDL 25-06(that I'm going to leave as is) and will likely build a 257 Wby one of these days.

For my purposes, that leaves the 270 Win and 280 Rem. I currently own one of each and enjoy them both. The 270 is a Wood/Blue Marlin MR-7 that shoots very well but I won't be using it for any serious hunting. I will be keeping it however since it was a gift. The 280 Rem is a Ruger M-77 MK II that I'm selling as a result of this project.

So pros/cons:

270 Win -
Pros:
Classic round
Cheapest components
Best selection of components and factory ammo.
Able to get ammo made by AAA ammo(I love their ammo)
One set of reloading supplies for 2 guns

Cons:
Somewhat limited selection of bullet weights
I already own a 270(kinda good, kinda bad)

280 Rem -
Pros:
Cheap components.
Great selection of bullet weights. The heavier bullets would be a plus if I decide to use the gun as a back up for elk+ sized game. More versatile than the 270?

Cons:
Already have a 270
Component selection not as good as 270. Nickel plated brass?
Limited factory ammo and no ammo made by AAA ammo.

What's your opinion?

[ 01-21-2003, 21:07: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ? is why and for what purpose are you going to carry it. Is it just deer gun a p dog gun or well you shoot something big and hairy with it.I have a 22 hornet that at times is just the right carry gun other times somthing bigger like a 338 or 416 will be my carry gun. If you just want a all round deer gun ect any of the 25 cal and up will work pick the one you like th e best and go for it.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
I would go for the 280 rem. If your want something more powerfull I would suggest a 300 wby

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle will be used primarily for deer. I would bring it along as a back-up gun for a 338 if I were to hunt elk+ sized game though. So being a back-up only gun, I'm not looking for the ultimate elk rifle.

The 270 has it on the 280 in the way of components but the 280 has it on the 270 in the way of bullet selection. Which is more important? Like I stated above, if I hunt elk+ sized game, I'll likely be toting a 338 Win Mag or similar chambering so this gun will be used for deer 99% of the time.

So the main question is which is the better rifle for deer? Also, if I were to use it for elk, what shot could I take(in terms of yardage and placement) with a 280 Rem that I couldn't take with a 270 and expect the same results?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska... I dont see where the 280 has a better bullet selection, though maybe a greater one in terms of raw numbers. I own both, but shoot my 270 more because its a better set-up. If you are a handloader there is no difference, though if you are expecting to loose your ammo I suppose there would be. Kinda a moot and paranoid point though. Also I wouldnt pussy foot around any of these two... as they will put the serious pinch on ANY north american game.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
For Elk obviously the 280 should get the nod for the excelent bullets available in this caliber. But the 270 is the quintessential deer round. Since youve already got one though, why not make something else? Something that you DONT have.. [Wink]

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Not sure what a "carry rifle" is... I carry all mine [Smile]

I've owned both the 270 and the 280... I like the 270 better. It's "american" (my apologies to those elsewhere) and is the "classic" western hunting round for deer and antelope. There's no difference between the performance of the 270 and 280 on any game except in the imagination of a given devote. More factory loads with fantastic bullets are available in 270 to the non-handloader (or those who quit it or lost/used-up their ammo) than the 280, not to mention wider distribution. The SD/BC superiority argument of the 7mm is nearly ridiculous in this day of wonderful, stout bullets. With a 22" bbl., the 270 is, in my mind, the perfect companion to a 22" bbl'd 338 WM.

BA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is to be an allround carry gun for "everything, any situation" then I would opt for the 30/06 boring I know but tried and true.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I say throw both picks in the garbage can and start thinking about something you don't already own. 2 rifles in the same caliber (yawn). Besides there isn't enough difference in the 2 rounds to worry about anyway. Sounds to me like you got the basics covered 25-06, 270, 280,338 Do something wild like a .243 catbird or a 6.5-06 maybe a ?????? have fun with it.Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Take the 270 it is a great round

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'd like to say something really profound and new here, but PC has already said it. If you're only after a back-up rifle, then I'd certainly opt for the 30/06. While I am a big .270 fan, and have(despite what some folks think) killed a few elk with it, the '06 is a better elk getter. And if you're worried about bullet selection, it don't get any better than the selection down the old .308 aisle. The 30/06 could be a great back-up for nearly any situation short of dangerous game.

Yeah the '06 is a bit boring, but so is being a back-up gun.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with something different and unique. How about a 6.5 WSM. You can even get factory brass for it now. It would be a heck of a deer round and still be enough for a backup for Elk.

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I vote for the .270 Winchester. It'll do all that the .25-06 will do plus more, it's less fussy than the average .280 Remington, and kills any sort of medium game very well. You can do no better for your purposes.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, maybe I'm getting into the realm of rifle snobbishness and I don't know what I'm talking about, but what qualifies a rifle as a "carry" rifle? Maybe I ask this question because I can't afford a heavy bench or varmint gun, I always carry my guns whereever I go, but they are all stock bolt-actions, with the exception of my Encore. My varmint rifle is a stock M788 .243 that I carry for deer and coyotes and shoot it off a bench at p-dogs and have connected out to 500 yds, it groups 1/2 MOA on a good day, a great day it's in the .2 and .3's with Berger 68 gr. moly coats. My deer/elk/everything else outside of Alaska rifle is my M70 Classic in .30-06. It's light, shoots well, MOA on average, not great, but not bad. My main question is, how do you define a carry rifle, and I remember reading a quote "beware the man who shoots only one gun"
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big time .280 Rem. fan. I have had three of them, still have two, not one was "fussy." All would/will shoot 3/4" groups. I've killed from elk down to ground squirrels with mine, so feel fairly competent with them.

That being said, if you already have a .270, and are building up a "general back up", then if it were I, I'd opt for the good and dependable oldie-but-goldie .30-06. (I have one, but don't use it much, as the .280 is my long time favorite.)

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is no difference in a 270 or 280 or even the 30-06 and 7 Mag as far as killing power is concerned...All with the same bullet placement will kill the same...end of story..

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
Nebraska:

For your purposes, build the 7mm Remington Express. Great bullet selection in all bullet weights. Makes up well into a 22" barrel if this is your preference.

I think when we talk deer we have to keep in mind there are some monster whitetails not forget some tough mulies running around. You've probably seen some of those. I would limit the 270 caliber at game on the upper end to no more than 500 pounds. I think the heavier 284 bullets offer a SD advantage for bigger thin-skinned non-dangerous game.

Since we are a group of enthusists these due-diligence details are important. A quartering away shot on a bull at 250 yards at dusk on the last day of elk season would make you want every added bit of bullet penetration available. I have a 270 Winchester and love it. My 284 caliber is a 7mm Rem Mag and because of my good experience with the long stable 175 grain bullets I have a lot of confidence with this combination.

I think it's a good idea to determine your preferred bullet weight so the optium rifling twist is used. The 7 has a wide bullet weight selection and the bullet weight:twist is important.

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leanwolf,

What brass do you use when reloading your 280s?

one of us
posted Hide Post
gotta agree with Ray. If you put the little ball in the right place, they all fall down.
[Razz]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray on this one.

Once again Nebraska it's not the cartridge that counts it's the best bullet suited for the game and conditions. Just get some reasonable cartridge, practice and prove yourself and the rifle and select the right bullet.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
--posting as big bore fan----

There is ZERO difference in the 270 and 280, other than bore, for all practical purposes.. but I favor the 280, as it's a 7mm.

If it was for me, and I already had a 270, and wanted something based off the 30-06 case, it would be a 338-06 or 35 whelen. the 338 is pretty easy to shoot, the whelen, when loaded as hot as the 338, can be a little bit more.

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote