New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon deer hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Oregon seems to be one of those states with lots of good units but not really any one stands out.
Any had a good buck hunt in Oregon lately?
I am putting in for the Snake River unit this year I think I have enough points to draw and it is close enough that I will be able to scout it.
Any other Oregon deer hunters out there?

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rukidnme,
How many preference point do you have?
I assume you are applying as a out of state resident hunter?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norseman
I have 5 points, yes I am a nonresident.
I was putting in for Trout Creek but it seems to be getting worse every year not better, so not much reason to hold out for it.
I am pretty sure I will draw this year for Snake River.
Still have a few years to go on elk and antelope I imagine, I have 5 points for those as well.
Have you had any good deer hunts in Oregon?

<Rogue 6>
posted
My brother-in-law took a nice nice buck a couple years ago on the snake river hunt. You know the story, if you find an area no one else has been going you have a good chance at a decent buck. If I was after a trophy of a lifetime I would be putting in on the S.E. hunts, like the trout creek hunt. I really like hunting blacktails so I don't mind missing out and building points.

<Spike>
posted
Southeast Oregon is pretty good in my opinion. [Big Grin]

-

-

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spike,
Way to go!!! Know I know who to call when I'm ready to cash in my points! [Wink] Those are trophy bucks in anyone's book! MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rukidnme,
since you have 5 preference, I would apply for East Whitehorse, Steen Mountains or even Lookout Mountain. In case if you did not know, you only need 2 preference points for Snake River @ 82% success of drawing this unit or 3 preference points @ 100% success of drawing.
Are you applying by yourself or with buddy?

If I were you, I would hold out for the Trout Creek which requires 9 preference points, it only 4 more years.
If you don't want to wait and you want a trophy or a decent wall mount, I would take a serious look at the Steen mountains unit as you will need high power optics to find those wide racks. This area has a unique and beautiful scenery.

Spike,
where about in S.E. Oregon?

one of us
posted Hide Post
rukidnme,

I usually hunt in Central Oregon, but that's only because I have a cabin there, not because it's the greatest hunting on earth. With that many points, I too would hold out for the Trout Creek Tag. But a second choice would be Steens Mountain. That is an amazing area.

5 points for elk should get you almost any elk tag, I'd think. Be prepared to wait a while for antelope though...

I won't be hunting at home in Oregon this year, but it's not too bad....I'll be in South Africa for 6 months on assignment. I can handle that too...

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses everybody.
Spike, looks like you have found yourself a nice desert unit, nice bucks!
I put in for Snake River. It is close to where I live. Did lots of research and heard many good reports about big bucks in the area, very few tags and I can hunt it every couple years and get to know where the big ones hang out. Plus I have a friend with a jet boat so we can glass and hunt in the mornings and fish and glass in afternoons.
It is awesome country as well. Hells Canyon is some pretty rugged looking country.
Oregon seems to be one of those states that has some good bucks in almost all the units and the limited tags provide for good hunts, it would be nice if they had some later season dates in a few of the units.
I know with 5 points I threw away a couple points putting in for the Snake but that is OK.
Good look to the rest of you folks on your hunts this year, with all the rain this spring should be a good year for antler growth.