New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: mule deer hunt ?s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
in northwest colorado? ive been told that before but no specific's. is this public land or trespass fee land? what are the regions or areas to put in for the draw? do you have to put in for the draw? im a do it yourselfer too and i agree with you 100%. i know you got some honey holes and thats not what im asking you to cough up. just some specifics to get started. the three of us who hunt together usually end up in wyoming but we would like a change to see something and experience something new. i'll try colorado game and fish for the regulations. help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the leads. I wanted a shot under 100yrds not because i cant shoot that far but I dont like to take animals at that range. (just a personal thing) I hadnt thought of the unguided option as I usually end up hunting by myself and its probally not a good thing to be in the hills alone.
Thanks Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why does everyone immediately offer advice on which guide to use? There is no reason to do a guided hunt if you want a representative mule deer. Most western states have plenty of tags available and huge amounts of public land. Get the regs and a copy of the newest record book(SCI, B&C it doesn't matter) and see where the good ones are being taken. Plan the trip and go. You will have the pride of doing it yourself.

I know for a fact that you can go to northwestern Colorado and see a couple hundred mulies a day if you know how to glass. I'd think that anybody with decent stalking skills could take a buck between 24 and 28 inches in a 5 or 6 day hunt. Anything over 30 inches is hard to come by these days.
The deer are there. Go get you one and enoy the west the way it should be seen.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote