Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on Mexico Mule Deer
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all. I am hoping someone can give me some information and maybe know some things.

I have been invited on a Mexico Mule Deer hunt in January. I am super excited, but also nervous with all that is going on in Mexico. I am hoping someone knows something about the outfitter and ranch to ease my mind.

The booking was done through http://www.bowhuntingsafari.com/Buehrer.html

The ranch is with
Sergio Jimenez Lezama
Ave. Roble 660
Col.Valle del Campestre
San Pedro, Garza Garcia
Nuevo Leon
http://www.mexicohunts.com/el-plomito-ranch-1/

I want to go on this hunt SOOOO bad, but I also want to make sure that this is a good deal and I don't end up dead under a cactus!!! Please help if you know anything about these guys.

Thanks!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been to nuevo leon, but I did find this:

Mexico Travel Warning
Nuevo Leon: Monterrey is a major city/travel destination in Nuevo Leon – Exercise caution in the state of Nuevo Leon. Although the level of organized crime-related violence and general insecurity in Monterrey has decreased dramatically within the last two years, sporadic incidents of violence have occurred. Security services in and around Monterrey are robust and have proven responsive and effective in combating violent crimes; however, instances of violence remain a concern in the more remote regions of the state. U.S. government personnel and their dependents may travel outside the city of Monterrey only during daylight hours on toll roads, and must return to the city of San Pedro Garza Garcia municipal boundaries to abide by a curfew of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m., except for travel to the airport after 5 a.m.

go here http://travel.state.gov/conten...-travel-warning.html and click on the state of nuevo leon to see the information I cut-and-pasted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
C´mon delloro, the ranch is located in the municipality of Pitiquito, Sonora, not Nuevo Leon.
It covers an area of 10,375 hectares and 961 are high fenced. A paradise for the Bow Hunter.
For 30 years I've hunted southeast of that ranch without any incident (El Dipo).
But... wherever you go, be careful, keep a low profile and be respectful of people and their culture. Enjoy your trip ¡¡¡.
Regards

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kechutti.....I want more info if you have it. Like I said I was invited on this trip and do not know much. I did not know it was High Fenced! What caliber of bucks are we going to see? Is it a reputable ranch?

Delloro...Thanks for the info but not everything you read on the internet is true. I am in Monterrey 3-4 times a year and it is not anywhere near as dangerous as you hear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been guiding and hunting in Mx since 95'
Been safe so far and no scary encounters.

Kechutti's last sentence is the best advice

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, hold, hold FL-EH. I did not said that the ranch is high fenced but that about 10% has high fence. I understand that is where the desert bighorn sheep are handled.
Sergio Jimenez´s Mexicohunts is a very known and respectable Outfitter.

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to Sonora twice, in 2006 and 2007. Got lucky and killed a bomber 213" gross typical in '06, and then turned around in '07 and went with the same outfitter and things couldn't have been worse. You never know.

You always hear the same things about Sonora.....
You'll be the only ones hunting this ranch.....
Ranch hasn't been hunted in past x number of years.....
Etc, Etc, Etc.......

I'm sure ravens will shoot you straight, but I live too close to the MX border now, and there's no way in hades' I'd go back down there because it's "one strike and you're out" down there.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
You should be just fine

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive spent a lot of my life in Mexico, raised on a ranch that bordered Boquillas more or less. Dad had a ranch leased for years in Mexico..Spent 20 years working in Mexico for DEA and US Customs on the Mexican border and in Mexico....

Today its a different place and the death rate of folks has gone sky high, Juarez alone has a death rate as high as Korean conflict or Viet Nam..

I would probably risk a hunt anywhere for a big buck, but would opt to fly in to the ranch and stay off the highway. Highway travel is risky and the lower echlon of the cartels like to work the highways.

Its easy to say Mexico is safe and we hunt there all the time, but that "it can't happen to me" attitude is dangerous IMO. Bottom line is Mexico is not a safe place, check out the number of Americans killed their in recent times, end of story..

Its a choice you alone have to make, but do your homework, and the internet alone is not the place to do that. All you have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the odds in Mexico are way easier to be their.

I have a ranch owned by a Mexican General who has 150,000 acres of good Del Carmin whitetail and Crooki Mule deer and bear hunting in the Sierra Del Carmens, both are sub species now. its a great hunt and as safe as Mexico can be these days. I, personally would go but I would charter a flight in and out to the ranch from San Antonio, Texas and not drive there these days, but again to each his own. I'm in the business of selling hunts but not sending clients places that are probable danger zones without them having a full understanding of the situation. The state dept. calls Mexico unsafe last I heard. One might be wise to book a USA hunt, we still have some big bucks and at some point Mexico will settle down I hope.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote