THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana- 'Poor' man leaves $3 million for hunters

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana- 'Poor' man leaves $3 million for hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
'Poor' man leaves $3M for hunters

HELENA, Mont. - LeRoy Beckman went to secondhand stores for hearing aids and heated only one room of his small Montana house.
He got around in an old panel truck, favored overalls and found his Social Security income adequate in his old age. "He looked dirt poor," said his friend Jim McDermand.

But the frugal old bachelor had an estate worth upward of $3 million when he died in 1997 at 88.

And it turned out the curmudgeon secretly had a plan for the money: He directed in his will that his estate be used to buy land and donate it to the state for use by hunters.

Now, four contiguous tracts of forest purchased by Montana officials - called the Beckman Wildlife Management Area - amount to about 6,500 scenic acres. The land is inhabited by antelope, wild turkeys, pheasants, fox, coyotes, raptors, songbirds, an occasional mountain lion and, of particular importance to Beckman, mule deer.

Beckman discussed his big idea with McDermand.

"When we finished he said, 'Don't tell any ... women or lawyers about this.' He didn't trust either one." But McDermand did persuade Beckman to meet with a lawyer to help carry out his wishes.

The Associated Press

Originally published on November 12, 2005

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! I never knew him but I know I would like him. The lawyer/woman comment iced it! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knew the guy in passing from back in the 80's when I was a cop in Helena. Calling him a "curmudgeon" is being kind. Glad he left the money to hunters though.

I was wondering if they will pave a few roads through it? Anymore the majority of hunters I see are riding around in their SUV's and pickups. Guys who get out and hunt like Brad are getting rare.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote