Find
Notify
Tools

Hastings Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,
Illinois is shotgun slug state when it comes to deer hunting. I've been using my Ithaca M-37 Deerslayer with a smooth tube for years with no complaints, but have been thinking of trying out a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount. Hastings seems to be the biggest aftermarket maker out there and I think I might give one a try. Can anybody vouch for their products? I heard from someone once that the barrels were a little on the thin side. Any truth to that? As always, your comments are much appreciated! [Smile]

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a hastings 12 guage smooth bore 26 "and it is of high quality as good if not better than the Remington 870 barrel. I recently purchased a mossberg 24 full rifled barrel for this 870 and so far I have been a little disappointed with the accuracy. I loaded up both the lyman and lee cast lead slugs and really achieved no better accuracy than through a smooth bore. I am going to the range tommorrow with different loads to test and will compare those also fired through a smooth bore 26" improved cylinder. One reason I chose a mossberg barrel was it has iron slights with the rear sight that folds down allowing clearance for the scope.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised about your disappointing accuracy. The only reason I'm considering the rifled barrel for the Ithaca is to squeeze another 25 yards out of her. I also like the idea of the scope on the barrel's cantelever and taking off that receiver saddle. Let me know how your range efforts go.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Check with Ithica.They are back in business,and may have a rifled barrel for your 37
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, double.

[ 07-31-2002, 05:05: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
John-

I had heard (and continue to hear) good things about Hastings barrels. However, my one & only experience with one wasn't so hot. I had one on a M870, and was disappointed in it. (Like you, I shoot a smoothbore M37 Deerslayer, scoped). I found my Ithaca shot as good or better, and for a lot less money. I sold the Hastings & have never tried another. Could've been a fluke, but that's my "hands-on".

[ 07-31-2002, 05:04: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been using a Hastings on my 870 for quite a few years. Average group is 2" at 100 yds using BRI slugs. I would not hesitate to reccommend Hastings barrels to anyone. I don't think you will find a better one.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote