Find
Notify
Tools

VA. ELK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I hit a snag ont my blueing remover(damn FDA
found out the peppers were eatable,so now they have to spend years testing)and have turned my attention to these Virginia Elk. Fish and Game are
scared the Kentucky Elk that have crossed the line might hav CWD so have put them very loosely
under the Deer regs(very loosely means eather sex full season)and it kinda makes me mad.I want to hunt Elk some day,but would like to wait till the hurd has time to establish it's self. I have decided that if I see an Elk while whitetail hunting I will watch in amazement as it goes on by. What would you do?

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ain't shooting no elk in Virginia until and unless we have a huntable population.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk are simply magnificent ... hate to see one down in the east. I wouldn't hunt them until they had a good start here.

Actually, I think I may have seen one /// sad situation though. We get a lot of deer killed on the highways. Last weekend I say a HUGE girl down on the side of I-64 outside of Charleston going toward Huntington. Given the traffic flow I was not able to stop ... but this one was so big that I'm guessing it was hit by a semi and was an ELK. Had the right coloration and the correct shape of the head too.

Would just love to see Elk make a come back in the east. Hate all of this worry about CWD.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Cripes! I swear the state wildlife management agencies will be the ultimate demise of wild game long before CWD! [Roll Eyes] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] It would be so cool to have an eastern elp population. [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm stationed out in Va for my final sea tour with the Navy and I have to admit that if I see one during the upcoming firearm deer season I'm going to do my best to put it down. As a native Coloradan I'll take an elk anytime it's legal during an open season.

I figure it's only right since so many people from the east come out to my home state to hunt elk, I should be able to take one out here if it is legal and according to the regs, it is.

Mac [Wink]

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk are a magestic critter. I will open up another can o worms by saying they should NEVER be penned up and raised / shot commercially. Elk ranching is just a bad idea.

Hey Mac, been through your town a few times. Spent a week at Tamarack. Nice area even if you can't see mountains.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote