New
Find
Notify
Tools

What A Deer !!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many legal deer have been taken at "dusk"? It should be a no-brainer, but I know when there is snow on the ground, and everything is white, a persons perception of what is "too" dark can be altered. I've probably taken a few deer, that if it was dirt and leaves instead of snow, I would'nt have shot, or atleast would'nt have had the shot presentation, that a bare ground backdrop would have denied me.
Too bad. Non the less, what a buck.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
 -

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi jack
are you sure the father of this white tail is not an elk? [Big Grin] excellent trophy congratulation
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The title should be: Poaching bastard or something to that effect.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, now.
I for one won't condemn a guy for shooting a world-record thirty minutes late, especially with snow on the ground.
Too bad it wasn't legit, so he could enjoy it.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poaching is poaching regardless of how you want to look at it, or justify it. Bend or break the law and you should be held responsible, not venerated.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be

I would condem anyone shooting anything after legal hours!! Now that trophy will be lost!! Or some lucky game warden will have it on his wall or it will be stolen and find it's wat to the market- so some rich bastard can claim he shot it!!! [Mad] What a waste!!

Posts: 115 | Location: Mountain Home ID | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damm and i thought this one was heavy........  -

Posts: 87 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
 -

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!]

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alledged????
They either "jacked" it or they did'nt.
It either can be proven, or can not be. Period.
I plan on taking one out of season when I get home in a week. [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIGGERHAP2:
Alledged????
They either "jacked" it or they did'nt.
It either can be proven, or can not be. Period.
I plan on taking one out of season when I get home in a week. [Eek!]

In Canada one is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. That is a concept the USA should perhaps look at! [Wink] LoL

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats to prove? It was that time, or it was'nt, hello....

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Although not as heavy.... this one is decent too...hope it was taken legally with a P&Y spec bow....
http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000300

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So both of these magnificent animals were harvested illegally?!?! If this is true it really pushes me over the edge. Those are incredible animals and deserve to expire by either old age or taken by an experienced woodsman with respect for such a beast.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wahhh!!!!

posted Hide Post
Man now if they grew that big around here -_-..... Yea like Trigger ive probley shot 1-2 when snow was on the ground and the sun went behind the hills

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting an animal one half hour after legal time is poaching pure and simple.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, ofcourse Stubblejumper, until it's you in that position.
If the deer was harvested ethically, then there was nothing wrong. If he put his time in freezing his ass off, then my hat is off to him.
I've got the respect for the animal. It's man and his bullshit laws I don't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard the big deer taken in Iowa by the 15 year old kid is being investigated. They think his father shot it during the youth season.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What one does when NO ONE is around to see you is the mark of a man of honor. That IMHO is what sets lawful and ethical hunters apart from the rest of the rabble.

I have NEVER been able to understand how an animal taken illegaly or unethically can be celebrated or enjoyed by the person who took it! See it all the time too. Getting that trophy or meat by any method/any means.

I agree that if this animal WAS taken after legal shooting time the guy should be strung up.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Triggerhap2-I have had many opportunities to poach animals with little chance of being caught but I have chosen not to.If you want to poach that is up to you but I do hope you are caught.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the legal shooting hours in this part of Canada? Where I hunt in Florida & Georgia it is 1/2 hour before sunrise untill 1/2 hour after sunset. Just curious. Also was it a full moon period?

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Well said Frank.
I'd hunt with you any day.
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah, yes...

if someone wouldn't mind too much checking if the fella DID take it after hours... and was it after "dark" IN the woods, or according to the sol-luner time? I have been back in the truck, and gone, 20-25 mins before "legal" dark... shoot, I could barely see the ground

now, if this fella WAS poaching, well, here in the STATEs, friends, he would be fined according the score of the trophy... no crap... they figured out that if it was a slick headed yearing it was not the same CRIME as a monarch of the woods, as this one is...

oh, yeah.. you hear about the IDIOT in new york state, that in OCT of one year took a shot at a dummy/decoy deer, from his truck? ... He paid his fine and did 10 months in jail...

in spetember, then next year, he shot the SAME damn decoy, in the SAME place....

for what it's worth, the decoy had been shot over 40 times in that same 11 months... at least shot at.

Poachers need to be strung up

jeffe

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where around Albany will you be hunting TriggerHap?

Posts: 1531 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph:
What are the legal shooting hours in this part of Canada? Where I hunt in Florida & Georgia it is 1/2 hour before sunrise untill 1/2 hour after sunset. Just curious. Also was it a full moon period?

Taken from the Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary, Fall 2003, Spring 2004 P 15
Available at: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunting/huntRegs/2003/hr2003_Info.pdf

quote:
Check local sunrise-sunset times. You may only hunt from a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset, except as otherwise provided. If you are in an area usually inhabited by wildlife, during the period from a half hour after sunset to a half hour before sunrise, you must unload and encase firearms (including air gun, pellet gun, bow or crossbow) in your possession. Firearms must be securely encased in a manner whereby they are not readily accessible.
I have no clue if it was a full moon period. The local sunrise-sunset times are the determining factor. It has nothing to do with what a person may 'think' is still enough light to shoot.

Turok

<heavy varmint>
posted
My guess is that this deer did't afford itself the time to grow a rack like that by sheer luck alone!

Likely he had lived through yet another day of being legaly hunted when some bozo who did't posess the skills needed to take such an animal legaly decided to turn the odds in his favor.

Maybe that's the way it happened, maybe not. But for anyone (triggerhappy) to defend such a scenerio and then state that they have respect for the animal, well, please, if anyone askes, just tell them that you kill deer cause you have no clue what "hunting" means and will shine a bad light on us that do hunt!

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I am thinking like Jeffe I guess. We have the 1/2 hour b/f and after rule here and it gets really dark fast. I can't see well enough to shoot a second after that time (sometimes before) so I don't know how they could take the deer unless they had the aid of a spotlight or such. I want to know when they shot it, and how they proved it was shot at night. Granted the photo is night, but it's not like they had it draped across the hood of a truck with KC lights blaring or sporting night vision scopes.

--If it was taken after hours it's a true waste. That warden looks pretty happy. He's thinkin' he might end up seeing that rack a lot and he's probably right.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote