Find
Notify
Tools

Night Hunt, Dec. 24-25th
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
For the past 5 years I have managed to see the same caribou at the house at precisely 2:13 a.m. on Christmas day. I contacted the Wisconsin DNR about the sightings and they said Rangifer tarandus are not indigenous to the state and do not live here. I said "if they don't live here why do I keep seeing them." Having no proof I commented on my willingness to hunt these animals to show the DNR that what I was seeing was, indeed, caribou. I conveyed my plan to the DNR and as it turns out, the DNR gave the go ahead, "Provided that what I am seeing is actually, wild caribou." Well, sure enough this year they showed up on schedule. There were 9 in total and they were all fairly large (probably Boone and Crockett) except one of them. As luck would have it I didn't get a decent line of sight on any of the big one's, but managed to bag the one below with my 270WSM. It was a great shot, took out the heart and lungs, DRT. The animal was nothing special in size, but I didn't care it was my first caribou. However,the most unique thing about the animal is its nose, it had a certain glow to it. I did the taxidermy work myself. But even after I boiled and bleached the skull, that eerie red glow was still there. Anyway enough of the back story, here is the pic.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one way to get on the naughty list.

rotflmo

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote