New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester power points
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are winchester power points good bullets?Anyone ever recover one that was a perfect mushroom?I have recovered hornadys that were just small pieces of lead but all the power points have gone all the way thru.I lost one deer with the 356Win.power point but the others were quick kills.I have also seen the 30-30 power point make a great mess of a deers vitals and complete penetration but the deer still ran 125yards thru super thick stuff before giving up the ghost,but the blood trail was a foot wide!Just wondered if you guys have positive or negative results.....They shoot great in some rifles i have had and ok in others,I do have a rifle that likes the remington core-lok a lot better.Anything wrong with these bullets?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are my first choice for whitetails in the .270. They are accurate, inexpensive and just flat out work on deer.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
They are all i used before i started reloading,i have shot them in 243,270,7mmremmag on Red and Fallow deer, pigs and goats with no problems.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price sure is right on them. The only time I used them on deer they didn't expand at all. Two little holes and no blood trail at all. Lucky I didn't lose the deer

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
If I didn't reload, I would most definately use them for factory fodder. I killed 7 bull elk and one cow with my 7mag and 150 gr power points. EVERY one was a complete pass through ranges from 50 yards to over 300... I was extreamly impressed. I bought all 5 boxes that the store had after the first bull...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of the basic loads from Rem, Fed, and Win they are the best as far as I'm concerned. I have shot mnay many deer with the 150gr power points in 308 and 06. They also give me better accuracy than remingtons.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy that only uses 175 gr Power Points in his 7mm Rem Mag. He claims they are good "as anything".

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About my favorite bullet in a 308...I like them in most calibers for deer, elk and African plainsgame..they are excellent bullets, much better than the Silvertips of today which come apart like confetti..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, which weight do you prefer, 150 or 180? Thanks, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a bag of 150 gr 7mm Power Points at the last gun show I went to. Intended to use them for a "practice bullet" in my 7mm-08. In test loads, I got a <0.5" three shot group with these. thumb

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/gdk45/target3.jpg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I really like the 150 and 175gr PP in my 7mm RM. If I didn't reload or if some situation came up where I needed shells they'd probably be thee choice. I have used Fed's but the PP seems to hold up better. The Supreme line with partitions might be a good pick if needed but at standard velocity the PP is tough to beat. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote