New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonora Customs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be hunting muleys in Sonora next month and would like to take my favorite custom 270/300. Any risks that I need to be made aware of? The rifle does have a serial #, what about my handload rounds. You can't go down to the sporting good store and buy 300wm necked to .277.I have carried this rifle to BC and NWT with no problems??

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ask your outfitter, you will need to get a gun permit, its expensive and it takes a while. iF YOU ARE GOING IN JANUARY IT MIGHT BE TOO LATE...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
plenty of gun permits go sour
from "writer error".
be careful,be accurate and get help
if you have any translation problems.
i've seen them recieved in the 9th hour
but this can get expensive.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Drummond as well. I've taken guns/ammo into Sonora numerous time, not a big deal, but the paperwork definitely needs to be done in advance. By now, your outfitter should have been getting that done?

Like Raven says, it can get done quickly if necessary, but can get costly too.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Talk to Drummond as well. I've taken guns/ammo into Sonora numerous time, not a big deal, but the paperwork definitely needs to be done in advance. By now, your outfitter should have been getting that done?

Like Raven says, it can get done quickly if necessary, but can get costly too.

Paperwork takes us 10 days or so, don't know about other operations. Depends on whose doing it I guess. That being said, you don't want to wait much longer as issues can always arise. I would highly recommend flying to Hermosillo as its just so much easier and convenient

As for your rifle, getting the serial number right is crucial! Check it, check it again and when you know it's right double check it. I've never had an issue with hand loads, there is a spot on your paperwork where is says "number of cartridges" and you'll need to put down how many you're taking. It used to be that the maximum number allowed was 100, or 5 boxes, but I think thu have upped it to 200 now. I used to ask my guys to bring the maximum allowed if it was a common caliber and them I would buy the rest so we had backups for future hunters but I don't think anybody will ask you to do that with a custom caliber.

If you need any help or have any question give me a call. Best of luck!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Flew in to Hermosillo twice. Paperwork all done in advance - no issues. Biggest PITA was getting my mule deer and coues horns/hides back.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote