New
Find
Notify
Tools

montana big horn draw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, I'm a non-resident and I have a friend who lives in Montana in Miles city. He drew a ewe tag this year and killed one. It got me thinking. Maybe I should start putting in for a sheep permit. Granted, I have a better chance of seeing god. But I was curious, any AR members here have stories of their draw success as a non-resident. I'd probably hunt with him in zone 482 if it ever happened, well, that would be my first choice. I've been putting in for Maine moose for years with no luck, but I figure I better start now. Even if I drew a ewe tag, it would be worth it. He killed his ewe the first day and he said 20 minutes into the hunt they found 2 rams, he said one was a brute and wish he drew a ram tag.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana has an umlimited sheep area. Anyone can buy a tag and hunt sheep. But, from what I've been told, it is some really rough country. Keith Atcheson posts here sometimes and he has done some guiding there.

As to the drawing, don't know what to tell you. I drew a tag in my native Colorado in 1986. Didn't fill it becaues I was too selective and have not pulled the tag since, and I have applied every season. Sheep tags are like gold nuggets. Everyone if trying to get their hands on one, but they are few and far between.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of people who drew as non-residents. One in 680 and one in 213.

It can be done, but the odds are not good, even for the residents. Your best bet is to apply for a unit that has at least 10 tags - depending on who you believe, there will be at least one non-resident tag given for the unit.

Good luck. I'm on year 13 without drawing as a non-resident. My brother has been putting in as a resident for over 30 years without drawing. Shoot, he can't even draw a pronghorn tag!

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
If you don't put in it'll never happen. Might as well try if its on your life list of things to do.

I've hunted the unlimited areas a few times quite a few years ago. Lots of fun and you do get to see quite a few sheep if you're in the right area. However, seeing a legal ram is very tough. I had one that was close and kept trying to stretch his horns mentally, but it didn't work.

I've put in for over 20 years (years I haven't put in for unlimited) and haven't drawn a tag but we have a bonus point system now so it may happen while I can still walk.

Desert Sheep: Your brother must be putting in a very tough spot for antelope. 700 district is almost a guarantee for a resident.

Best of luck!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know residents who have shot two and three sheep over thirty or forty years. Others who have put in for decades and NEVER drew a tag. Quite a "system". I've given up...back and neck too sore, can't walk the way I once could.

FN

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I know my chances are slim, but I gotta try. Sheep are my favorite, you can't win if you don't play. My buddy says if I put in for antelope for zone 700, he said it's very easy to get a tag, even as a non-resident. He said they give out 12,000 in that zone alone and only average 13,000 applicants. I believe non-residents have only %10 of the quota. I'm gonna put in for that this coming year for october rifle. I'm not a trophy hunter by any means, so if I draw and go and kill a 12 inch pronghorn, my smile will be ear to ear. Even if I don't kill, the experience is worth it. It's not about inches to me at this point in my life. I'm 28 with limited funds, I gotta do what I can when I can. I'll put in for sheep and hopefully have the money when the day comes I draw for one!!!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That's the spirit!!

If you get a buck tag for 700 you should get one. TONS of public land and block management. Hunting antelope is a gas.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only is antelope hunting enjoyable, they taste good to!

Your attitude,especially for a young person, is what hunting is all about!

Your taxidermy work looks very good to!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjrtaxidermy:
...I was curious, any AR members here have stories of their draw success as a non-resident.

I have applied for years, no luck yet... coffee

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I think MT gave out 9 NR limited entry ram tags this year, and about 5,500 people applied. Its been that way for the past 6-7 years now.

Your odds of drawing a ewe tag are pretty good especially after you gain a few bonus points , and like mentioned... there is always the unlimited units, but the odds of killing a legal ram there are about as good as drawing a limited entry tag, unless you have 2-3 weeks to scout or want to hire an outfitter.

Montana's bonus point system basically means... you get your name in the hat as many times as you have points. It really only helps if there are few applicants and lots of tags, for instance say 40 apps for 10 ewe tags... Odds are You will draw a ewe tag in a few years if you keep putting in, but its still not a sure thing. In cases where 200-300 people apply for 3-4 ram tags... your odds with max points are basically what they were befor the bonus system was implemented, with out max points you start out in the hole and will never catch up. However... about half the people that draw tags (both NR and Res) have fewer than max bonus points.

I applied as a Res for 11 years, and have put in as a NR for the last 7. I have max points and unless I move back to MT... I'm pretty sure I'll die before I draw a tag.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
In addition to what Ivan said about the unlimited units, I believe they have a quota and the season can be closed with 24 hr notice.

A guy I know here mistakenly applied for a ewe tag last year. He had 4 pts, but the drawing odds in that unit we 50% for ewe.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I'd say go for it. Some states give more tags than others. Here in Oregon it is a once in a lifetime tag, but it may take several lifetimes to get one! Even so I keep putting in for a big horn and Mt. Goat, and every year I think this is my year and no luck. But.....

If you don't try you'll never know!

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This year was my 34th year in a row I have put in for a resident sheep tag..... No luck yet... Am I going to keep trying? Yep! I hope to get a tag once before I get to old to climb the mountain....

Posts: 595 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no luck drawing anything usually but this year I got a goat tag. Great hunt, got a 9+ inch nanny. Sheep hunting, I hunt the over-the-counter areas almost every year for the last few years excepting trips to Namibia Sept and my moose and gost hunts. Very rough area, 2K+ foot climb in only 5 air miles, little water, lots of grizz, generally not even one other hunter, FWP can "call" the hunt over after the quota has been reached after only a couple days.

Non-res hunters are LIMITED to no more than 10% of the draw in limited districts, not alotted. So in a district with say 10 tags: If the first ten guys drawn are residents, drawings over, period. If the first 10 guys drawn are non-residents, one guy gets a tag the rest are SOL and the rest of the slots will go to residents.
Some units are also limited to residents only.

There are a few outfitters that offer guided hunts into unlimited areas, one guide charges $10K PER PERSON for the season, which can be over the first morning if the quota is reached. Reason: Horrible logistical problems just getting to the sheep hunting areas, no water, bears you name it.If you go that route BE VERY VERY careful, there are some great outfitters offering these hunts and at least one POS. Also, be very clear as to the refund policy on hunts that end due to filled quotas, are you prepared to pay $5,000 per day for a sheep hunt where you don't even see a sheep?

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever went, which is not likely, I wouldn't go with a guide. I can't afford it. I'd go with my friend that lives in montana. Like I said, I'll put in for shits and maybe score before I'm dead! Wink Thanks for all the great info everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might suggest getting with a tag service that keeps track of the applications and has them in on time every year and tells you what the odds are etc...

Keeps the frustration of trying to make deadlines and they can tell you if they use a preference point system if you will ever get drawn given your age.

Really only pays for itself if you do multiple species/states to keep up with.

It's all stuff you can do yourself but it does take a fair amount of headache out. Also keeps you from pulling 2 "guarantee" tags given your point situation in the same year - something that a friend of mine did and wound up having to skip a hunt he had been applying for forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Desert Sheep

I know a couple of people who drew as non-residents. One in 680 and one in 213.

Desert Sheep,
Was that in BC or AD? Drawing a sheep tag seems to be near impossible. I've all but just given up and thought if I'm going to do it I'll just have to spring for it out of pocket.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks nathan 1, I only plan to put in for antelope in zone 700 and for sheep, with a preference of 482. Hopefully I draw a antelpoe tag, I've been wanting to hunt them for a while. I finally realized I can't win if Big Grin I don't play