Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Saturday "Rant"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jimmy:

I hit a dog once - he ran out right in front of me. I felt really bad. I rang every doorbell until I found the owner. She said not to worry. I said, "Lady, your dog is dying. It is spitting blood."

She said her son would take care of it and appearing to have cared less. It was -20 and cold as hell.

What were you hauling?

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having worked 70 hours already and then having to work today was putting my temper to the fullest stress test So, I show up at 5:30 am jump in the 8 axle truck and trailer and away I go. First load goes great, sun starting to pop over the hillside, nice laid back cruzin day.
Second trip, get loaded and head out, 4 or 5 miles down the road I see a doe cross the road, stand on the shoulder and look back, ah! baby is on the other shoulder. Car in front does not slow down, not one god damn bit , I am hoping that he will but at that moment the little guy jumps foward and Whack!!!, throws him about 30-40' off in the ditch. This SOB, doesn't slow down, touch the brakes or even stop, JUST KEEPS ON DRIVING
At this point I am just sick and so damn Mad I am bouncing around in the cab like a BB in a boxcar.
I now decide to chase this no good SOB, in a truck and trailer weighing 105,500 lbs. I flash the lights, honk the horn, give him the finger, called him every foul name I could think off and he just pulled away from me.
I am sure if I had caught up with him, I would be needing bail money.
On my way back for load 3, I stopped just to make sure the little guy was not just hurt and suffering. When I walked back to the truck, I have to say, I had to wipe a tear from my cheek.
Sorry if this all sounds foolish but for some reason this really upset me.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my dad and i hit a deer comming home from my grandpas a few years ago. the little fork horn did some real damage to my dads truck. the deer didnt suffer to mush if any and it was a real long trip home. we were on the side of the road for over 2 hours and only one person stops to see if we were ok.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Jimmy

I know your feelings, a lot of people just don't see anything but the road ahead of them. I hit three separate deer when I lived in Wisconsin and everyone of them bothered me even though there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. It does tend to ruin a person's day, even when the day wasn't the greatest anyway. It seems such a waste of something I enjoy seeing in the wild. I think it proves hunters have a real feel for nature that the "Bunny Huggers" will never understand.

I am sure if I had caught up with him, I would be needing bail money.

You must have temperarily forgot these wise words:

Don't argue! with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Can't say that I blame you too much either.

Hopefully tomorrow brings you a better day.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, you are probably right but sometimes anger just flat takes over.Just the sight and the memory of that little guy getting Whacked for NO reason other than the driver just plain being "Stupid" just set me off.
I guess I will take my "Meds" and then maybe I will be better

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Grossing over 100,000 Im impressed that you were able to catch the smuck enough to express finger communication. Not an easy task at all, especially if your truck is casterated like mine.

I once ran a set of rockies into Jackson Wyo in the dead of winter on an overnight run, going through the snake river canyon the roads were often a sheet of ice. There is a refuge there and @ 2:00 AM the damn herd of Elk for some reason liked to hang out right smack in the middle of the road. Luckily the only casualty the first time I saw that was my skivvies.

One night on my trek through that icy road, the biggest most awsome mulie Ive eveer seen jumped out into the road. I mean this boy had a rack that resembled that of an Elk! For some reason he felt the need to completly cross the road, it was so slick that "the deer" couldnt get any traction! He slipped and slid in a futile effort to get away from the oncoming behemoth. I slowed down the best I could, (rather creeping already) by the time we met the corner of the KW bumped him in the rump. Im sure it hurt like hell, but he kept on going.

It would have totally ruined my day to have killed such an immaculate creature like that, but some folks dont seem to care as long as their car remains intact.

Fortunatley, in all my days of driving that is the closest Ive come to killing such an animal. (knock on wood) IMHO there is a HUGE amount of road kills that are preventable and its unfortunate that more officers arent around to see them.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks blue. Yes, I did alot of Contracting work the last time the ol' gal blew here top. I built the Ryan Lake interpitive center and the trail to the lake and also had the contract for the fill for the earth damn that Granite Const built, approx 1.78 millon cubic yards. Several other contract jobs on a much smaller level for the USFS.
The mountain is now at a level 3 and I think they{Gov} have moved things back to a 10 mile limit due to this new danger level.
Myself, I don't think things will be to bad, maybe some ash if it does blow but nothing compared to the level of damage done in the orignal blast. The bad part is it has sure screwed up the hunting in that area.