New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Done! Antelope Done! Now...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well my partner just brought to bag a wonderful Bull Moose here in SW Montana! It was 43" wide with 10 points to a side and just a behemoth for a Shiras Moose!
It took us 5 round trips to bring out the meat, hide and hooves - we crossed a scrotum deep icey cold river 10 times during our trips! Neither of us had the foresight to bring waders! And I fear I lost a good pair of Hunting boots in the trips to and fro across the river!
It was worth it though!
Then next I took a Cheechako (Indian term for novice Hunter) on an Antelope Hunt in central Montana and he of course brings to bag a 15 7/8's" absolute Trophy of an Antelope!
The ivory horn tips were over an inch long!
Its at the taxidermist!
I thought I did well with a 14 1/2"er!
Off of public Hunting areas these were outstanding animals for Montana and we were more than happy!
Now its off to assist TWO MORE of my "lucky" Hunting partners that were "lucky" enough to draw the coveted Bull Elk Special Tags!
I can Hunt Mulies while I am waiting to "pack out" more meat for my friends!!!
Oh well, I get just as much enjoyment and thrill from watching my "buds" bag the good ones as taking them myself!
Updates soon as I can get back to my "puter"!
Best of luck to ALL this fall and lets all renew our adherence to all manner of safe Hunting and Gun handling!
I know a secret swale where the high plains Mule Deer just lounge around its so seldom Hunted!
I will have my 270 Sendero there and at hand on first light come the Sunday opener!
Wish me luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job and what a great friend. Good luck on your hunt!

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
We've seem to have a weird backwards mirror thing going on, VG. Wink I just got back from a sucessful antelope hunt, and I leave tomorrow for my moose trip. Any chance you've done alligator, upland and waterfowl so far too this year? If so, then that's *really* weird. Smiler

Hope that the hunting Gods smile again, as they did on you and your crew.

Cheers,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari: Negative on the Alligator thing!
I have shot 4 Sage Grouse and 1 Ruffed Grouse this season though!
I will hold off on the "untapped" Ducks and Geese here in Montana til after the Big Game and Turkey seasons are done.
I have two Wild Turkey tags to fill this season as well!
Good luck on your upcoming Moose Hunt!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
VG,
As I recall, a year ago you were recovering from a snake bite. How'd you come out of it. Sounds like you're OK and able to hunt with the best of them... if not the best then at least with those lucky enough to draw tags! Hope you're OK and aren't suffering any long term damage.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG sounds like your fairing much better than me. Did get some grouse up near Northport. It was pretty dry. I'll be going back for the late hunt.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, you DID do great with a 14 1/2 inch goat in Montana, that is a superior goat for that part of the world. 15 7/8 is SPECTACULAR! That should be a record book antelope!

The moose you describe is certainly a whopper too.

Congrats to you and your friend(s)!

Good Luck with the Mulie's while your friends hunt the elk.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote