THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ruger Hawkeye .257 Roberts vs Texas Whitetail

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Hawkeye .257 Roberts vs Texas Whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted
I picked up this rifle back in September, it was a consignment. It had the Zeiss Conquest on it. I took it to NM for Mule Deer with no luck. Well this morning, it came through, this little 4 point hung around a little too long. He was only the second shooter buck I have seen all season. His horn has been broken.

The Hornaday 117gr performed perfect!

Oh, and I only paid $600 for the set up! Big Grin

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Well done thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on taking a nice buck! thumb

The .257 Roberts is one of the oldies that still does the job today despite trends towards fancier and faster cartridges which burn much more powder, have more muzzle blast, pound you with more recoil -- and still can't kill a deer any deader than you have with your .257 Roberts.

Congrats again...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck Wink thumb

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the buck and the great deal on the rig!!!

I am going back to try my luck next weekend. This time with some friends near Menard.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask how far the shot was.

It looks like you had superb bullet placement -- and I am guessing he went down in a hurry.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atta' boy. Shoot a Roberts myself, and have always found it a solid caliber.

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no flies on the 257 bob.
The following are pix of a Texas hill country white-tail doe taken at approx. 80 yds with a 257 roberts loaded w/110 gr nosler accubonds. Complete penetration and plenty of blood to track. Deer ran about fifty yds. before piling up. Very little bloodshot meat.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote