THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What is the largest game you have taken with a ...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the largest game you have taken with a ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
...30-30 Winchester? What type of effect did your shot have, and what kind of damage was done? What type of load were you shooting?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer and elk with a 30-30 Win and with good effect, they didn't make many tracks..I have done the same thing with a 25-35 and you can add a 400 lb. black bear to the 25-35, but it was a little hair raising...He was knocking sotol 10 feet in the air while I was shooting him (about 6 times) at 25 yds.

All one needs to do is modify his hunting style to fit the caliber, that is shorten up the firing range...Even a 300 Why becomes a 30-30 at some point down range.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A bison. I used a T/C Contender handgun chambered in .30-30.

A 130gr. spirepoint in the brain at 30yds. did the trick.

I would never take a bison on with this kind of combination again.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now George that is a story I wouldn't mind hearing. You should post it for those of us that frequent the Single Shot Pistol forum.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I'll try to scan a couple of pics tomorrow and post them with the tale.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
A one-eyed grey squirrel.

Home on leave after graduating boot camp, I hunted deer in 1976 with a borrowed M336. On the way out one day, a squirrel jumped up on a fallen tree, giving me his left side. So I shot him with the Marlin.

Turns out is left eye socket was empty, just skin and hair.

My brother still brings up the blind squirrel affair, nearly three decades later. It is best not to have a witness sometimes!

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Moose. I was 11 years old at the time, and the 30/30 was my first centerfire rifle. [Smile]

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote